Police have confirmed that investigations into a “poisoning” incident, which resulted in a pet being rushed for treatment in the Mearns, are under way.
Robson Vets, which is based in Laurencekirk, issued a warning to locals after an animal, thought to be a dog, ate toxic bait on a coastal path near St Cyrus on Thursday afternoon.
After treating the pet at the practice, staff said the poisoned bait appeared to be “intentionally planted along the pathways” and warned dog walkers to be aware.
And on Friday morning police confirmed they are looking into the incident.
PC Steve Inglis from the Kincardine and Mearns community policing team said officers are carrying out inquiries into the matter.
He added: “We have received a report from a member of the public and arrangements have been made to speak to them in order to establish the full circumstances of the matter.”
Last night Robson Vets said: “If you walk your dog along the cliff top walk at St Cyrus, please be aware that poisoned bait has been found, apparently intentionally planted along the pathways there.
“We were made aware of this today, when one of our patients accidentally ate some of the bait. Thankfully, her owner noticed and promptly brought her in, where she was successfully treated and is now home, hopefully none the worse for her adventure.
“Although incidents like this are rare, please be vigilant when out with your pets. The poison, if eaten, can affect any animal, including humans, though toxic doses vary.”
The vets warned locals to be on the lookout for “piles” of bait, calling for them to “clear them up safely” if possible.