A kickboxing world champion has been warned to keep his skills “in the ring” after narrowly avoiding being locked up for beating up another man.
Shay Barnett, 18, was told his assault conviction could hamper his bid to defend the title he won in England last summer.
Sheriff William Wood told him: “It may be that any licence you require to participate in future may well be at risk as a result of this particular assault.
“This assault continued while your victim was on the ground and you continued to punch him. There is sufficient in the report, just, to keep you out of custody.”
Perth Sheriff Court was told Barnett, who won several titles at the Open World Championships in Barnsley last year, had lashed out at his teenage victim.
The court heard there was a background of animosity between the two men and Barnett launched an attack when they bumped into each other in the street.
Barnett, Tweedsmuir Road, Perth, admitted attacking the teenager in the city’s Rannoch Road on September 14 last year. He admitted seizing his victim by the body and pushing him to the ground before repeatedly punching him on the head.
Sheriff Wood ordered him to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and told him to pay £300 compensation.