Police are investigating the death of a 95-year-old man at a soon-to-be-closed Dundee care home.
Officers attended Wellburn Care Home, which is closing on Monday, on Tuesday May 30 to respond to reports an elderly resident had died.
Police say there don’t appear to be any suspicious circumstances linked to the incident.
It’s thought the man was fatally injured after falling from a second floor window.
The Health and Safety Executive has confirmed it is assisting Police Scotland with enquiries into “an incident”.
Despite the death, Bishop Stephen Robson, of the Diocese of Dunkeld — who own the care home— said the fatality is not related to the closure.
Police were alerted to the man’s death shortly before 7am on Tuesday May 30.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “On May 30 we attended at Wellburn Care Home in response to a 95-year-old man who had died.
“There would not appear to be any suspicious circumstances involved.”
Wellburn Care Home, previously operated by Dundee’s Little Sisters of The Poor between 1863 and 2015, is to close on Monday.
Dozens of residents have been told to find new homes and “60 to 70” staff laid off.
Family members of decanted residents say the closure has led to “utter chaos”.
Others questioned the sudden nature of the decision to close.
The Diocese of Dunkeld say the imminent closure has caused “great sadness and deep regret”.
A Diocese spokesperson said: “Following an inspection by the Health and Safety Executive which reported problems with the heating and water systems at the Wellburn care home, the Care Commission have advised that the facility should be closed and the residents relocated.
“The Diocese of Dunkeld was advised of this on June 8. All residents will be transferred within the next 72 hours to new accommodation somewhere within the city council area.
“This will be done by the Dundee City Council Social Work Department. It is with great sadness and deep regret that the diocese must accept the instruction to close, especially since closing the home will involve redundancy for the staff.
“Although the Diocese of Dunkled has made a significant investment in the premises over the past 18 months, it has no choice, but to act on the instructions of the Care Commission and close the home.”
On Friday, a Care Inspectorate spokesperson said conditions in the home means care cannot continue “beyond the next few days”.
The spokesperson said: “The health, safety and wellbeing of vulnerable older people living in Wellburn Care Home is our first concern.
“We have been working closely with the local authority and the care provider to support improvement and are aware of the significant challenges now facing the home.
“The conditions at the home cannot continue beyond the next few days, and we have been notified that the provider will close the home imminently.”
“We understand this is a difficult decision for them to take, and worrying time for residents and their loved ones, but necessary in the circumstances.
“We are working with the local authority to ensure that residents are supported to new care arrangements sensitively and swiftly, with minimum disruption.
“We are working closely with the provider and local authority to support residents’ moving to other care homes, and our inspectors have been present in Wellburn over the weekend to do that.”