Parents at Monifieth High School have reacted angrily after the school failed to inform them about the threat posed by a potentially dangerous pupil.
The school received information the pupil was travelling to the school and contacted the police, who removed him from the grounds by the end of first period.
The pupil, who parents consider a threat to their children’s safety, had made at least one prior attempt to enter the school grounds since being excluded.
Sources told The Courier the boy had been found in possession of a knife on that previous occasion, though staff at the school have claimed this was not the case.
The school did not immediately inform parents about the incident, despite it being routine to use communications methods such as text messages to inform parents about a variety of matters, including minor breaches in school policy.
Head teacher Mrs M-C McInally sent an email to staff and parents early on Friday afternoon.
One parent, who did not wish to be named, said she was “disappointed” with how the school had handled the situation.
She said: “I am utterly disgusted by the boy’s behaviour and disappointed on all accounts with how the school handled this happening.
“My child was in the same school campus while this went on and the school never even so much as sent a text about it.
“If my child had failed to hand in homework on time you better believe I would have been told without delay.
“The school needs staff members in the grounds monitoring during breaks and lunchtime and to rethink their plan of action in case another situation like this happens again.”
Many other parents took to social media to express their surprise and disappointment they had not been informed earlier, although some said staff and police had done everything possible to contain the risk.
An Angus Council spokesman said: “The head teacher has, in consultation with Angus Council, written to all staff and parents today with regards to media coverage relating to an incident that took place at the school yesterday.
“We understand events subsequent to this incident may be subject to further police investigation, however, we wanted to address any suggestions or inaccuracies concerning the presence of an offensive weapon so as to provide reassurance. There was no weapon.
The school was placed on lock-down as a precaution. At no stage was any young person or member of staff at risk.
“Any parent who has any continuing concerns is invited to contact the head teacher directly,” he said.
A police spokeswoman confirmed a pupil had been removed from the school but had not been arrested or charged.