Months of town centre roadworks for Forfar drivers will begin on Monday in a major gas main replacement project.
The project will see traffic banned from parts of busy East High Street in a series of five phases during the 15-week scheme.
Gas firm SGN embarked on an improvement programme in October which saw the Montrose Road approach to the East Port traffic lights closed off for several weeks.
The company previously staged a public event to set out the phasing of the works, which will see the replacement of the old metal gas main with a new plastic pipe.
The first phase will see the complete closure of East High Street between the East Port and Queen Street.
Three-way traffic lights are also to be installed at the East Port junction and will be manually controlled at peak times, SGN said.
A second section of East High Street, from Queen Street to Couttie’s Wynd, is scheduled to close from January 27.
Eastbound traffic bans will come into force on various sections of East High Street on Feburary 17, March 16 and then April 6.
The town’s two main bus stops are located on East High Street and SGN said there will have to be suspensions throughout the project, with temporary stops put in place.
“Our teams will be working five days a week, between 8am and 4pm, and will work extended hours and at weekends when required,” said a spokesman.
Angus Council communities convener Mark Salmond has said he hopes locals and businesses will show patience during the lengthy project.
“I recognise this will be taking place over a number of weeks, but it is an essential project,” said the Montrose independent.
“It’s a busy street but the project has been set up to try and keep disruption to a minimum and diversions will be in place so I would ask for forbearance from those affected by the works.”