The coronavirus quarantine has delayed a criminal trial at an Angus court.
The breach of the peace trial has been adjourned on the advice of infectious diseases experts after it emerged two witnesses in the case had recently returned from Thailand.
Malcolm Kane, of Forfar, faces two charges relating to an alleged breach of the peace in the Angus town last December and had been present at Forfar Sheriff Court on Wednesday when the case called for trial.
World Health Organisation guidance on protection from coronavirus is in the video above this article
Kane’s solicitor, Michael Boyd, said his client was adhering to his not guilty plea.
“I understand there will be a Crown motion to adjourn the trial due to two of the Crown witnesses being in quarantine as a result of the coronavirus situation,” said Mr Boyd.
Depute fiscal Laura McGillvery told the court: “That is correct. Both have recently returned from Thailand.”
She said the court had received a letter submitted by one of the witnesses from an infectious diseases consultant at Ninewells Hospital advising that the individual will remain in quarantine until February 22.
Kane, of Queen Street, Forfar, faces two charges relating to the alleged incident on December 20.
The 32-year-old has pled not guilty to behaving in a threatening manner by shouting and swearing at his home address.
He also denies making threats of violence and pursuing his partner through the street on the same date.
“Given the circumstances, it is a motion to adjourn the trial,” added the fiscal.
Sheriff Ian Anderson set a new trial date of April 29.
It is understood the witnesses are self-quarantined in accordance with recent medical advice surrounding the coronavirus outbreak.
Anyone travelling from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau, has been advised to stay indoors and call the NHS 111 phone service if they experience any symptoms, even if mild.
Meanwhile, an Arbroath takeaway has re-opened for business after its staff took a decision to self-quarantine in the wake of a trip to China.
Millfield Kitchens and Chinese Takeaway posted a notice in its window earlier this month advising customers it was taking the move as a precautionary measure.
The staff at the Millfield Road premises had not visited parts of China affected by the disease.
Support The Courier today.
The Courier is committed to delivering quality content to our communities and right now that’s more important than ever — which is why our key content is free. However, you can support us and access premium content by subscribing to The Courier from just £5.99 a month. Because Local Matters.Subscribe