ScotRail has called time on an Angus rail station’s historic clocks.
The timepieces have been decommissioned after decades spent hanging from the roof in Arbroath.
The old station clocks hung above each of the platforms but were struggling to keep accurate time due to their age.
They will remain in place as part of the 168-year-old Keptie Street station’s heritage with both hands turned to 12.
A ScotRail spokeswoman said: “Regrettably the old station clocks at Arbroath Railway Station have been decommissioned although they will remain in place as part of the station’s heritage.
“Due to the need for absolute accuracy around timekeeping, customers are asked to check the time at the station by using the customer information screens.”
As part of ScotRail’s operating guidelines all clocks in a station must display a common source of time.
Stations can fail Service Quality Incentive Regime (SQUIRE) checks if their clocks are not accurate.
SQUIRE seeks to ensure that all stations and trains are checked every four weeks, and any faults or areas for improvement are reported and repaired.
The present Arbroath station, was built on a link line built between the Forfar line and the Dundee and Arbroath Railway.
Jointly run by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway and the London and North Eastern Railway after the Grouping of 1923, the station then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
When sectorisation was introduced by British Rail in the 1980s, the station was served by Scotrail until the privatisation of British Rail.
Until 1990, the station had three active platforms and was the terminus of a regular local service from Perth and Dundee that called at all of the intermediate local stations.
The former platform three and its associated loop has also been taken out of use and lifted.