Opening hours at Angus recycling centres are to be extended in response to problems which have arisen since they were slashed at the beginning of this year.
In a change set to come into force at the end of this month, centres will open for an extra two hours in a bid to relieve traffic congestion and pressure on site staff which have been a feature at facilities across the district.
Leading council figures have also said they hope the longer opening hours will cut down on fly-tipping.
The move will see recycling centres opening at 10am rather than noon Monday to Friday in some burghs, or at 1pm rather than 3pm for towns where there is later opening.
Angus communities committee convener, Monifieth and Sidlaws Conservative councillor Craig Fotheringham said: “The reduction in hours was agreed at the meeting on September 7.
“Since then we have committed to monitoring how they have impacted our local recycling provision, and listening to the residents of Angus.
“It has become clear that there have been issues with queuing traffic on main roads, congestion and pressure on site attendants.
“This increase in opening hours across Angus will help address some of these problems and ensure we achieve our recycling targets, while reducing instances of fly-tipping.
“We should do everything within our power to make recycling as easy as possible, increasing our opening hours will help achieve that,” Mr Fotheringham added.
Forfar and District Conservative councillor, Braden Davy, who campaigned against recycling closures said: “This is great news and shows Angus Council continues to listen and respond to local residents.
“I am very pleased to see an increase in hours — all councillors will have heard first-hand the concerns of people trying to do the right thing and recycle.
“Despite huge budget cuts this shows the difference our administration is making.
“Instead of the former administration’s plans to close centres and slash hours, we have one which is committed to keeping local centres open, and increasing hours.”
The change is the latest stage in a controversy which has raged around the re-shaping of Angus skip site provision for more than two years.
Proposals for a ‘super-site’ to serve Forfar and Kirriemuir were dumped, and Monifieth residents successfully secured a one-year stay of execution for their under-threat facility.
A ban on pedestrian access to all skip sites and a six-foot restriction on the length of trailer allowed into a number of locations was also brought in.
Meanwhile, body cameras were issued to recycling centre operatives after complaints about threatening behaviour from members of the public.