People power has forced Angus Council into a u-turn over taxi stances in Carnoustie for the duration of the Open Golf Championship next month.
The authority’s civic licensing committee previously considered a proposal to suspend the town’s sole rank in favour of temporary space along Links Avenue.
However, an angry backlash from locals has resulted in a re-think.
Objectors raised concerns about disruption to elderly residents, littering and the danger of additional traffic in the area.
The barrage of complaints has led to a new proposal which now includes the former Kinloch school site, bounded on the east by Links Avenue, and on the north by Dundee Street.
Under the previous proposal, Links Avenue would have been reduced to one-way traffic for the duration of the event, between July 18 and 22.
The scheme would have involved two spaces for dropping off and picking up disabled passengers, two holding ranks for approximately 11 vehicles and one rank at the north end of Links Avenue for four vehicles.
One resident pointed out that almost 40% of residents in Links Avenue are elderly, with at least three requiring carers on a daily basis, and raised concerns at the potential for increased noise levels, especially in the early morning and late at night.
Others were apprehensive about increased littering, and the dangers to pedestrians.
Some said it would be difficult to get in or out of their driveways if so many taxis were parked there.
Under the new plans, only taxis travelling from east to west along Dundee Street will be permitted to enter the Kinloch School site, which will be controlled by temporary traffic regulations.
Council officers have suggested taxis will be permitted to enter the school grounds to drop off passengers, or to wait at stances to the north and east of the site.
Taxis will be able to pick up fares from the pedestrian access onto Links Avenue and will be directed out of the site via Dundee Street.
Taxi marshals will be present at peak times.
Arbroath West and Letham Independent Councillor David Fairweather said: “I am pleased that council officers have taken on board the concerns of local residents, and come up with alternative proposals.
“Obviously, the Open draws a worldwide audience and provides a massive boost to the local economy, but we have to take cognisance of the impact it has on the people who need to go about their daily lives while the tournament is on.”