Questions have arisen over the future of a major Tayside music event after its producers announced they would no longer be involved after this year.
A statement by Glamis Prom Ltd stated the final curtain is falling on the event, with next weekend’s billed as “a glorious finale”.
Both the Glamis Prom website and Facebook page stated the August 25 event would be the last.
However, when The Courier contacted Glamis Castle, which hosts the prom, Strathmore Estates factor Willy Inglis said he believed the statement by the production company was “misleading”, “disorienting” and “slightly disingenuous”.
However, he stopped short of guaranteeing the event’s return next year.
He said: “It’s misleading to say that this is the end for Glamis Prom.
“It’s the final one for Glamis Prom Ltd, but not the end of the road for
spectacular events at Glamis Castle.
“Glamis Castle is reviewing what’s on offer and we hope to do something
different next year.
“Ultimately, what we choose to do in the grounds is our decision. We’re
looking at our options as to what would be most appropriate.
“We will continue to have events and I’d anticipate the prom, or something similar to the prom, will continue, I’d hope, next year.
“It seems disingenuous to release a story on social media outwith our
control when, in fact, we control what goes on at Glamis Castle.”
Mr Inglis said while the prom had traditionally featured “high standards of classical music”, recently it had been hosting “more modern or dynamic performances”.
He added: “Looking to the future, we will review the kind of performances that best suit the occasion.”
An initial statement from Glamis Prom Ltd said: “After four happy years of the Glamis Prom, the producers have decided that this year’s event will, sadly, be the last one.
“We’ve had the cream of the crop perform at Glamis and we have made some wonderful memories.
“However, in a world where nothing stands still for long and tastes change, it is with much sadness that we’ve decided to bring the event to a close.”
When The Courier asked for clarification, the company put out a fresh statement which said: “There’s no reason why another similar show couldn’t go ahead in the future but it won’t be produced by this company who are simply moving on to other projects.”
The event, which was established almost 30 years ago, has seen stars including Nicola Benedetti, Elaine Paige and Michael Ball perform at Glamis Castle.
The Scottish Pops Orchestra will be joined at this year’s event by big names including West End superstar Kerry Ellis, Tom Urie of BBC Proms in the Park and Saskia Eng, who first found fame on The Voice.