A Kirriemuir service set the scene for the weekend of Angus remembrance.
Organised by Kirriemuir Heritage Trust and the town’s Rotary club, A County Remembers was the title of the Old Parish Church commemoration of the First World War Armistice, and included a performance by the Scottish Police and Community Choir as well as the involvement of Cadets from throughout the area.
It took place on Saturday evening, ahead of well-attended Remembrance events throughout Angus and the Mearns, beginning with a haunting bagpipe tribute to the fallen in the early Sunday morning darkness of Forfar’s Balmashanner war memorial.
The Lord Lieutenant of Angus, Mrs Georgiana Osborne, led the town’s Remembrance parade and the laying of wreaths at The Cross.
In Brechin, a memorial garden featuring a marble globe honouring the 300 men of the city – 144 from Montrose Street alone – was officially opened at Dall’s Lane.
Benholm and Johnshaven Community Council led the organisation of local events, including the involvement of pupils from Lathallan and Johnshaven schools.
A young Lathallan piper played Battle’s O’er at 6am on the Johnshaven harbour pierhead in unison with fellow pipers across the UK at the start of the day of commemoration.
The bell of St James’ Church in Stonehaven’s Arbuthnott Street rang out for the first time in more than half a century for Remembrance Sunday.
It was originally housed in the Episcopal Chapel on the town’s High Street but was moved to St James’ in 1885 and has been remounted after being discovered during roof repairs to the church.