A top city fire-fighter has slammed a “mindless” act by students after a firework was set off inside a halls of residence.
Officers from Scottish Fire and Rescue were called to Belmont Tower residences on Wednesday night after a firework was lit in one of the flats and launched from a window.
Scottish Fire and Rescue service group manager Craig Thomson highlighted the dangers of lighting fireworks indoors, and said it was “very lucky” no-one was hurt in the incident.
He said: “This mindless act really does defy belief. Extreme care should be taken when using fireworks outside, but they should never be used inside any building or premises due to the risk of fire and serious injury.
“The person responsible is very lucky that there was no fire or injury to either themselves or the other students within the halls.”
He added: “Attending incidents like this also delays our attendance at more serious incidents where lives could be at stake and the person responsible should take that in and think about it very seriously.
“We have an excellent relationship with Dundee University and we regularly work with them and the students to highlight the importance of fire prevention and safety while staying at halls of residence.”
A Dundee University spokesperson said a full investigation in to the incident was being carried out
They said: “It appears a firework was set off from an open window in Belmont Tower last night. Thankfully no one was injured in the incident, which we are continuing to investigate, and no damage was caused.
“Students are made aware of our fire safety regulations and their personal responsibilities in this regard even before they take up a place at our residences.
“Fire safety is of the utmost importance in our halls of residence and we work closely with Scottish Fire and Rescue Service on campaigns to reiterate this message.
“We have clear disciplinary procedures in place for anyone found flouting these regulations and all our students are aware of this.”
Four appliances and an aerial rescue platform were sent to the incident just after 9.30pm on Wednesday, and fire crews discovered there was no fire shortly after arrival.