Council confident it will meet city centre roadworks deadline

© DC Thomson
The works in Whitehall Crescent.

Dundee City Council has said it is confident resurfacing roadworks in the city centre will be completed by next week — after additional contractors were brought in to assist with the job.

A two-week programme of resurfacing works began in the city centre on April 10.

Although the work is mainly being carried out by Tayside Contracts, Perth-based company King Contractors is now also working on the project.

The ambitious programme has seen roads on Crichton Street, Whitehall Crescent, Whitehall Street, Dock Street and High Street, east of Whitehall Street and Commercial Street, torn up and relaid.

Bus routes have been disrupted by the work while a number of traders in the city centre have said they have been hit hard by the loss of business.

As well as the area being sealed off to traffic, pedestrians have faced lengthy diversions.

The roadworks means the only way for pedestrians to gain access to streets such as Whitehall Street and Crichton Street is to walk several hundred yards down to Union Street to cross over and turn back again.

Craig White, manager of Scott Brothers Butchers on the High Street, said: “Takings are down. We’re mainly losing custom from older people who just can’t walk as far as they need to because there’s nowhere to park.

“I understand that the roadworks need to be done but I don’t know if there’s maybe a different way to do them to avoid so much disruption to everyone.

“I do wonder why they haven’t got people working on them overnight to get it done as quickly as possible but it may just be about the money.

“We’re now hearing rumours that the roadworks may continue for another week but I really hope that’s not the case.”

Dundee City Council said they decided to resurface the streets in one go in order to minimise disruption to as short a period of time as possible.

A spokeswoman for Dundee City Council said it is expected the roadworks will be completed by Monday.

She said: “We are still looking at a two-week timeframe.”