Broughty Ferry “murder” victim named

© DC Thomson
Police outside the flat in Nursery Road on the night of the incident.

Police have identified the man allegedly murdered in Broughty Ferry on Friday night as 53-year-old Mark Johnston.

Mr Johnston was found dead in a flat on Nursery Road just before 10pm.

Police were witnessed rushing to the scene late on Friday evening and a cordon was established surrounding the building until lunchtime on Sunday.

Members of the public were unable to enter the block of flats and residents were required to sign in and out under police supervision if they wanted to leave their homes.

A 44-year-old man has been detained in relation with his death and is currently receiving treatment in hospital under police supervision.

Police have confirmed they are treating the death as murder. No-one has yet been formally charged.

Crime scene investigation officers conducted examinations in the block during the weekend and plain clothed detectives from the Police Scotland’s criminal investigating department (CID) carried out door-to-door inquiries.

Detective Inspector Tom Leonard of Tayside Division CID, who is leading the inquiry said a police presence would remain in place outside the Nursery Road block for the next few days.

He said: “My condolences are with the family and friends of Mark Johnston, and they continue to be supported by specially trained officers following his tragic death.

“Inquiries into the full circumstances surrounding this incident are ongoing, but I would like to reassure the community that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death and there is no risk to local people.

“Officers will remain in the Nursery Road area over the coming days, as we continue our murder inquiry and to offer support and assistance to people in the neighbourhood.

“I would like to thank residents for their help – this is a quiet area and the community has been understandably shocked by what has happened. I would emphasise that this is a very unusual incident which poses no risk to others.”

Neighbours living close by the scene of the alleged murder expressed their surprise such an incident could have taken place in the community.

Reports of loud bangs which went off close to the time of police arriving have now been attributed by locals as fireworks, which were set of coincidentally.

The “distressed” barking dog was also identified by neighbours as being unrelated to the suspected murder, most likely “upset” by the fireworks being set off.