Dundee drugs courier jailed after police recover £400,000 hail of cocaine

© DC Thomson
Glasgow High Court.

A 41-year-old Dundee man has been jailed for more than three years after he was caught transporting £400,000 worth of cocaine.

Ryan Stewart had been paid just £300 to carry the drug from Glasgow to Dundee.

He was arrested after police searched his car in the car park of a Dundee restaurant following a tip-off.

Stewart said he had recently been made redundant and the trip was a “one-off”.

Officers discovered a bag containing more than a 1kg of the drug when they searched his car.

It had a purity of 80% compared to the normal 10% purity found in cocaine sold at street level.

Stewart admitted being concerned in the supply of cocaine when he appeared at the High Court in Edinbirgh last month.

He was sentenced to three years and four months in prison on when he appeared at Glasgow High Court on Friday.

Judge Lady Scott said: “I accept you acted as a courier on a one-off journey for payment of £300.

“I accept your participation was at a very low level and you have a history of stable employment. I’m persuaded that this is an isolated incident.”

Prosecutor Maryam Labaki said the cocaine has a purity of 80% and that if this was cut to the average purity level  found in street cocaine, the drug would have a total value of £405, 684.

The High Court in Edinburgh had heard officers detained Stewart after 
seeing his vehicle  on Dundee’s Kingsway West on March 7 2017.

After he stopped his car in the car park of a Beefeater restaurant, Police Scotland officers searched the vehicle and found a red carrier bag underneath the driver’s seat which contained a “fractured block” of the class A drug.

After Stewart stopped at the car park of a nearby Beefeater restaurant, Police Scotland constables found a red carrier bag underneath the driver’s seat 
which contained a “fractured block” of cocaine.

Stewart was taken to Police Scotland Tayside Division’s Bell Street headquarters where he said he had been paid just £300 to ferry the drugs from Glasgow to Dundee.