Man held following ‘double stabbing’ in Dundee

© DC Thomson
Police activity at Gruinard Terrace in Dundee.

A man has been detained following a horrific “double stabbing” on Boxing Day.

Kevin Mullen, 25, has been remanded in custody following an appearance at Dundee Sheriff Court on Wednesday afternoon.

Mullen, of no fixed abode, stands accused of four charges, two of serious assault, following a disturbance at an address on Gruinard Terrace in the Mill O’ Mains area of the city in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

He appeared from custody in private and on petition and was represented by defence solicitor Jim Laverty.

Two people, a man and a woman, were conveyed to Ninewells hospital to be treated for alleged “stab” injuries following the incident.

It is understood the pair’s wounds are not life threatening, but no further update on their condition has been given.

Mullen made no plea and was committed for further examination by Sheriff Derek Reekie at Dundee Sheriff Court on Wednesday.

He has been accused of four charges, two of serious assault with a knife.

Mullen is alleged to have been in possession of two knives on December 26 at Gruinard Terrace and elsewhere.

On the same date and at the same location, namely Gruinard Terrace, Mullen is accused of assaulting his former partner, Natalie Patterson, striking her on the body with a knife to her severe injury.

He is further accused of assaulting Gary Anderson at the same address on Gruinard Terrace on December 26, striking him on the body with a knife to his severe injury.

Mullen is also alleged to have been in possession of a controlled substance, namely cannabis, at an address on Keswick Terrace on December 26.

Police descended on the scene of the alleged assault in the early hours of Boxing Day.

Residents noted at the time there was an amount of “blood” on the street of where the incident is alleged to have taken place, as well as a “heavy” police presence in the street from about 5.30am.

The street was cordoned off while forensics officers and uniformed police conducted inquiries in the area.