Fake pistol sparked police firearms response at Dundee nightclub

© DC Thomson
Club Tropicana, Dundee.

A man who showed nightclub bouncers an imitation handgun he had tucked in his waistband after he was refused entry to the club was yesterday behind bars.

Dawid Stec sparked a major incident outside Dundee’s Club Tropicana nightspot when armed officers were rushed to the scene.

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Stec – who faces deportation to his native Poland after being convicted there of a serious assault in his absence – stood laughing throughout his arrest.

He has been warned he faces a lengthy jail sentence when he returns to court next month.

Depute fiscal Charmaine Gilmartin told Dundee Sheriff Court: “The accused and friends were seen acting strangely outside the club, exaggerating their movements and bumping into people.

“They left to join the queue at Liquid nightclub nearby but were refused entry.

“They walked the short distance back to Club Tropicana and started acting oddly again.

“The accused walked towards the Hilton hotel across the street and lifted his top, showing what appeared to be a gold-coloured handgun, which fell to the ground.

“It made a metallic sound when it hit the ground.

“He started to walk away but door staff ran over and grabbed him while others contacted police.

“Officers arrived and saw the handgun on the ground.

“The accused found it funny and laughed throughout his arrest.

“Firearms officers then attended and declared the item safe.

“It was later examined and found to be an air soft pistol designed to shoot 6mm ball bearings and with the appearance of an American-made Colt pistol,” she said.

Stec, 24, of Main Street, Dundee, pleaded guilty on indictment to having possession of an imitation firearm without lawful authority on March 4 2017 in South Ward Road, Dundee.

Defence solicitor Scott Norrie said: “He was out with friends drinking and this item was found by one of his friends.

“He didn’t appreciate his actions were clearly going to cause alarm.”

Sheriff Alastair Brown deferred sentence until next month for social work background reports and remanded Stec in custody meantime.