Fife thug who repeatedly spat in the face of police officers jailed

© DC Thomson

A Fife thug who twice spat in the face of police officers after they arrived at his home to investigate a domestic dispute was yesterday jailed.

Kierran Kerr, 23, of Pittenweem was jailed for six months after admitting pushing a policeman and spitting on his head after officers arrived at his home following a disconnected 999 call.

The court heard officers visited his home at University Terrace in response to the call in which the operator could hear shouting in the background.

Kerr was found to be acting aggressively towards officers and his partner and swore at and spat in the face of officers as they attempted to speak to him. He again spat at them as he was being placed under arrest.

Fiscal Lynne Mannion told Dundee Sheriff Court: “When the police officers arrived at the address they saw the accused’s partner who had clearly been crying and was distraught.

“They tried to engage in conversation with the accused who told officers to f**k off and get the f**k out of his house.

“Eventually, the officers were forced to place him in handcuffs after he had pushed one of them and spat in his face.

“He was then placed under arrest for assaulting a police officer. He continued to struggle with the officers.

“When he was being moved from one vehicle to another he again spat at one of the police officers. He was then taken to the police station.”

His solicitor Sue Williams said her client was ashamed of his behaviour and asked for him to be spared a custodial sentence.

She said: “He is extremely apologetic for being involved in this and, in particular, for spitting at a police officer.

“He said he had taken a pill and that he didn’t even know what it was, as well as drinking alcohol.

“In the last few years he hasn’t been in trouble.

“He can’t really explain why he fell off the wagon this night.

“He accepts that he was abusive to officers and his partner.”

Sentencing Kerr, Sheriff Tom Hughes said his behaviour on the night was “absolutely unacceptable”.

He said: “To go about spitting at police officers when they are trying to protect people is unacceptable.

“Not only did you do it once but you did it on a number of occasions.

“The court will not accept this. A custodial sentence is the only option.”

Kerr, of University Terrace, Pittenweem, pleaded guilty to one charge of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner and one of assaulting a police officer.

He was handed six months reduced from nine on account of his guilty plea.