Cat owners in a Fife town have been warned to be on their guard after the deaths of two cats from suspected poisoning.
The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) has confirmed it is investigating two suspicious deaths in Glenrothes.
Toxicology tests suggest the most likely cause was from anti-freeze poisoning.
A Scottish SPCA spokeswoman said officers had not ruled out the possibility that the cats were deliberately poisoned. However, the liquid is sweet to the taste and the charity said dogs and cats could be tempted to drink it if people spilled it when they were changing the coolant in their cars or disposed of it carelessly.
The concerns are centred around the Collydean area of the town, where a number of pet owners have reported suspicions.
Natalie Jeffrey’s two cats – one-year-old Milo and five-year-old Jeff – died just a week apart in October.
She believes they were deliberately harmed.
Natalie said: “We are all heartbroken and miss them terribly.
“It’s been confirmed the substance was glycol etheline at high levels.
“The test results showed high levels of crystallisation within the cats kidneys showing deliberate poisoning.”
Glycol Etheline is one of the key chemicals found in antifreeze products.
Natalie urged anyone whose pet has suffered a similar fate to call the Scottish SPCA.
“They are building a case on this to try and stop the person responsible and hold them accountable for their absolutely abhorrent behaviour,” she added.
One resident reported his dog had found pieces of chicken under a hedge while he out walking in Collydean. He said the pet had immediately spat out but he was concerned it might be contaminated.
Scottish SPCA chief superintendent Mike Flynn said: “We deal with a large number of complaints regarding the poisoning of domestic animals each year.
“Over the winter months, antifreeze is one of the most common causes of poisoning. The liquid is usually colourless and odourless, but it has a sweet taste that appeals to cats and dogs.
“In some rare cases poisonings are deliberate, but we believe the vast majority are due to people spilling antifreeze when they are changing the coolant in their cars, or disposing of it incorrectly.
“Dog and cat owners should be vigilant and if they suspect that their animal has ingested something poisonous, they should take them to the vet immediately.
“People can report any concerns about deliberate poisoning to our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999 or to Police Scotland on 101.”