A family had to flee their car as smoke belched from it on the busy A92 in Fife.
Firefighters rushed to the aid of the family, including two young children and a baby, who had escaped from their silver Skoda near Glenrothes.
No one was hurt in the incident, which occurred shortly before midday on Tuesday.
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said the car had not gone on fire but was emitting engine fumes
She said: “There was a car with suspected engine component failure.
“It was engine fumes rather than a full-on fire.”