A Kirkcaldy family fled their home after a recalled tumble dryer sparked an inferno in a shed.
The family of four, including two young children, were led to safety as flames raged from their shed in Dunnikier Estate on Monday night.
All escaped injury but the children, aged four and seven, were said to be “shaken”.
Intense heat from the blaze caused damage to the outside of the house, melting the back door and a drainpipe, and cracking a window.
The children’s mother, who did not want to be named, described hearing a bang after loading the dryer and going back inside the house.
“I heard a bang then all the neighbours were out helping us get the kids out.
“They have lost their outdoor toys, lost bikes and scooters. They’re quite shaken at the moment.
“My husband ran out with a hose and was soaking the decking to make sure it didn’t spread.”
Whirlpool, which owns Hotpoint and Indesit, issued a safety notice after identifying a potential fire risk associated with up to 500,000 dryers sold under the Indesit, Hotpoint, Creda, Swan and Proline brands between April 2004 and September 2015.
Customers were given the option of replacing their dryers or having them modified.
Whirlpool branded appliances were not affected.
“It was recalled a couple of years ago, in 2017, just before we moved through here,” said the resident.
“A Hotpoint engineer fixed the fault and it was deemed fit. We had no room in the kitchen, that’s why it was in the shed. I did think about bringing it into the house upstairs.”
She added: “It would have been devastating if it had been in the house.”
She said her washing machine had also been recalled.
At the end of April this year, Whirlpool announced its safety team had identified “a potential risk concerning certain models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines”.
Jeff Noel, the company’s vice president, said the appliances were designed by Indesit and manufacturing commenced prior to Whirlpool acquiring the company, adding that Whirlpool was taking responsibility for any faulty white goods.
“I’m now waiting for Hotpoint to get back to me,” said the mother of two.
“I’ve given them all my details and demanded that they pick up the washing machine too because I want nothing to do with them.
“We’re not the first family that this has happened to.”
Two fire appliances were sent to the scene at 11.18pm and took just under half an hour to extinguish the blaze.
“I’d like to say thank you to the neighbours for all their support. They really rallied round us,” said the resident.
A spokesperson for Whirlpool said: “Our thoughts are with the residents affected by the fire, and we are investigating the situation.
“One of our senior engineers is visiting the property tomorrow to help us understand what has happened as a matter of urgency.”