A huge clean up operation is under way at a Fife animal shelter after a fire forced the evacuation of a number of animals during Tuesday night’s deluge.
Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze which broke out in an industrial unit at Lochgelly Business Park in Auchterderran Road, Lochgelly, shortly after 9pm.
News of the fire sparked a frantic dash from volunteers with Fife Dog Rescue and Rehoming, which is based at Unit 5b, and all of the dogs being accommodated at the centre were moved into crates at a safe distance from the incident.
Fire crews brought the fire under control and the dogs were returned to their kennels, but the centre itself remained closed on Wednesday to allow staff and volunteers to clear up the mess.
The centre posted its thanks on its Facebook page: “Firstly to a wonderful team who all pulled together tonight when we got the call there was a fire.
“Team members from all over including Perth raced to help. You are all exceptional.
“All dogs were evacuated from the building and crated in outside area. Dogs are now back in their kennels safe.
“Thank you to Fife Fire Brigade you were all so understanding for our dogs.
“Of all nights it had to happen, we were all soaked through!”
Fife Dog Rescue and Rehoming was established in November 2013 to assist dogs who are in need of help in finding their new forever homes.
An investigation into how the fire started is under way.