Friends and family of missing Glenrothes man Allan Bryant Jr held a peaceful protest outside Police Scotland’s Fife HQ on Sunday.
Around 50 people turned up to express their anger over the handling of the case, which his family believes should be changed from a missing person’s inquiry to one of murder.
There has been no trace of Allan since the then 23-year-old disappeared after leaving a nightclub in the early hours of November 3, 2013, although police insist there is no evidence of criminality.
His father, Allan Snr, thinks his son was killed shortly after he was last seen alive and that his death has been covered up.
Amid chants of “bring Allan home” and “find Allan Bryant Jnr”, Allan Snr accused the police of treating his son like a lost dog.
“Why is it taking so long to find my son?,” he said.
Allan Jnr’s uncle, David Bryant, claimed it was only through the support of locals that progress had been made.
“Without the public, the local community and 81,000 people on Allan’s Facebook page, this case would have been in a folder in the back of a police station,” he said.
He again criticised the length of time it took officers to release CCTV showing Allan Jnr leaving Styx nightclub on Caskieberran Road on the night of his disappearance.
“I can’t understand it because you see that kind of thing time and time again when someone goes missing,” he said.
Detective Inspector Stuart Wilson has said that daily efforts were being made to trace the Glenrothes man.
“This is the largest investigation which has ever been carried out by police in Fife,” he said.
“All lines of inquiry have been fully investigated.”