Fife community told to stay indoors amid chemical fire fears

© Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

A Fife community is on lockdown amid fears of suspected asbestos exposure as a farm blaze continues to rage.

Residents have been told to stay indoors and close their windows and doors following the incident at a derelict farm in Dunfermline.

Emergency services are likely to remain at the scene overnight following the fire which sent toxic smoke billowing into the air.

The fire broke out at South Fod Farm which is just off Linburn Road and near Carnegie Primary School around 4pm and five pumps from Scottish Fire and Rescue were despatched to the scene.

A cordon was in place around the scene with a strong toxic smell lingering in the air up to a mile away.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Police Scotland, along with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, are advising local people to keep their doors and windows closed following a fire a derelict farm in Linburn Road, Dunfermline.

“Officers would urge members of the public to stay indoors with windows closed when possible.

“This message is precautionary.”

Comments

Breaking:

    Cancel

    Sign up for our newsletter

    Fill in the form to sign up for the Courier newsletter

    Thank you. You have been successfully subscribed to our newsletter.

    Close