Pilot hurt after light aircraft crash lands in Fife field

The overturned plane.

An elderly pilot was rushed to hospital after a light aircraft crash landed in a field in Fife – but his injuries are thought to be non-life threatening.

The incident took place at Lundin Links at about 11am on Tuesday morning.

Emergency services have been called to the scene and it is understood the pilot, a 75-year-old local man named Stewart Russell, received treatment at the scene by paramedics.

© DC Thomson
The emergency services at the scene.

Mr Russell, who was the only person on board and an experienced pilot, was subsequently rushed to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee by emergency ambulance for further treatment.

However, police say that he has suffered what are believed to be non life-threatening injuries.

The crash took place to the rear of a local farm just off Pilmuir Road, which is near Lundin Ladies Golf Club.

© DC Thomson
An ambulance at the scene.

Mr Russell was coming in to land on his own private airstrip when his aircraft – a Piper Super Cub – is thought to have clipped a combine harvester, crashed and flipped over.

He was conscious when emergency services arrived.

Locals say Mr Russell could regularly be seen flying circuits in the skies above Lundin Links.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said earlier:  “Police in Fife are currently in attendance following a light aircraft crash near to Pilmuir Road, Lundin Links.

“The incident happened around 11am on Tuesday, July 18.

“Police and emergency services are in attendance and the male pilot is currently receiving treatment.  A cordon is in place around the site.

“Inquiries into the full circumstances are ongoing.”

Police also urged the public to remain clear of the area to allow emergency services clear access to deal with the incident.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesperson said, “We received a call to attend an incident involving a light aircraft at Lundin Links, Fife, at 1100 hours.

“One male patient in his seventies was taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee by emergency ambulance.”

Two fire engines from Methil and the heavy rescue tender from Macalpine Road in Dundee were summoned at around 11.15am, although the latter was stood down as it became clear no-one was physically trapped in the wreckage.

It is understood the injured man had been removed from the aircraft prior to their arrival.

A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said crews were on standby due to the smell of aircraft fuel.

A spokesperson for the Air Accident Investigation Branch said it had also launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.