Fife company recalls haggis over botulism fears

An award winning Fife food producer has recalled savoury puddings over fears they could cause deadly food poisoning.

The Farmer’s Son in Auchtertool has recalled batches of haggis, black pudding and white pudding over concerns about the company’s procedures to control the bacteria which causes botulism.

Customers have been advised not to eat these products and to return them to where they were bought.

However, The Farmer’s Son reassured the public that no botulism had been detected in any products.

The Food Standards Agency said: “The Farmer’s Son is recalling various products because of concerns over the company’s procedures in place to control Clostridium botulinum.

“The bacteria can produce botulinum toxin, which causes serious food poisoning and has the potential to be fatal.”

A product recall notice issued by the firm said “no botulism has been found” and customers were being asked to return the products “as a precautionary measure”.

The company added: “We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

Batches of haggis bungs and four-slice packs with use-by dates up to January 10 are affected.

Black and white pudding packs with use-by dates up to January 11 are also being recalled.

The Food Standards Agency said anyone who has bought the products should not eat them and return them to the shop where they were purchased.

Breaking

    Cancel