The Fife Conservative group has backed proposals for new school catchment areas in Dunfermline but criticised previous council administrations planning failures which led to the current crisis.
Education bosses have put forward suggestions to redraw secondary school catchment zones in west Fife as they try, again, to resolve longstanding capacity problems.
Councillors are due to discuss the plan to rezone addresses across the area to different high schools on Tuesday.
If the new proposals to redraw catchments for Dunfermline, Queen Anne, Woodmill and Inverkeithing high schools are passed the plans would go to a public consultation.
The Conservative group said it supported the new statutory consultation proposal to rezone existing secondary school catchment areas, but slammed previous “poor planning”.
Councillor Kathleen Leslie said: “While we are supportive of the new proposals brought before committee, this result is the outcome of poor planning by previous council administrations.
“We agreed last year that Dunfermline pupils should attend Dunfermline schools and other catchment anomalies needed amended.
“Torryburn Primary School pupils travelling to Inverkeithing High School never made any sense when Queen Anne was geographically closer, just as rezoning Masterton pupils to Inverkeithing High School was completely nonsensical.”
She added correcting anomalies should have been a longer-term and better thought out process that has pupil wellbeing at its centre.
“Instead, failure to address the looming capacity crisis at Woodmill by the previous administration while rapid house-building continued meant councillors were presented last July with hurried proposals which officers believed we would just rubber stamp.
“This year placing requests and resilience training have been offered as some sort of way to alleviate worry and stress felt by parents and children over uncertainty of where primary sevens will go to high school.
“The capacity problem at Woodmill was recognised at least two years ago, 10,000 homes are allocated for development and the revised proposal will mean that by 2022 Inverkeithing High School will also be over capacity.
“Options for new high schools will not come to committee before the autumn.”