Fears have been raised for the safety of partygoers in Fife over the festive season after a number of alleged drink spiking cases came to light.
The Courier has learned one girl was hospitalised following a night out in Kirkcaldy earlier this month, while her friend was found wandering the streets without any money or phone on the same evening.
Both young women are adamant their drinks were deliberately spiked.
It is understood similar concerns have been raised in Leven and Dunfermline in recent weeks.
Anti-spiking campaigners have warned young people preparing to visit Fife’s pubs and clubs over the next few weeks to take extra care.
The Kirkcaldy incidents have been revealed by a friend of the girls in question, who did not wish to be named but was shocked to see the effects.
“One of them had to go to hospital and the other one was in a stupor, but luckily they were found by friends,” she said.
“As one of the girls said, unless she was tested it can’t be proved and the police can’t do anything – even though she had no recollection of what happened and she was so, so ill the next day.
“This is so wrong as people are getting away with doing this.
“I would really appreciate it if warnings can go out to people, because young girls are so trusting of getting their drinks and leaving them as they chat to people.”
The girls had been in a number of pubs on the night of Saturday November 17, ending up in Society nightclub, although it is not known when their drinks may have been targeted.
Similar stories have been shared on social media, and Cara Teven, who founded the Girls Against Spiking organisation, has warned people to be on their guard.
“Girls Against Spiking are very conscious of the upcoming party season leading to many more people being spiked,” she said.
“The party season can mean people who don’t normally go out will be and this could mean they aren’t prepared for the unfortunate culture of spiking which now exists as a part of a Scottish nightclub.
“In order to stay as safe as possible, please keep an eye on the people you are with and if they show any signs of hallucination, being withdrawn, unusually lethargic or anything else that seems out of character, please seek medical advice and ensure they aren’t left alone.”
Girls Against Spiking has called on bars across Scotland to provide cups with lids to stop revellers being deliberately drugged.
Earlier this year, local mum Cheryl Brown urged people to be wary of drink spiking after apparently falling victim to the practice on a night out in Edinburgh.
Despite only having four drinks all night, the 22-year-old told how she collapsed and banged her head on the pavement, with her partner suggesting Cheryl seemed “possessed” when she regained consciousness in an ambulance.