A number of rundown flats in Anstruther look likely to be demolished.
Tenants and home owners in the four Mayview blocks will be moved out if councillors agree on Wednesday to bulldoze the five-storey buildings and replace them with new council houses.
The 1960s-built blocks are said to be in such poor condition that they are beyond economic repair and difficult to let.
Fife Council said problems with antisocial behaviour meant people were refusing to move in and there was a high rate of tenants requesting a move out.
Only 18 of the 40 council-owned properties in Mayview Avenue and Mayview Court are occupied at present.
Head of housing services John Mills said it would cost £4.2 million to modernise the blocks, more than double the £2m cost of demolishing them and building anew.
Owners of the four private properties in the blocks would be liable for £100,000 each.
In a report to the council’s north east Fife area committee, Mr Mills said: “There have been issues with allocating properties in Mayview for a number of years and rates of turnover and refusals are higher than average.
“There are management issues associated with the area, including incidences of anti-social behaviour, leading to a high number of requests for outward transfers and refusals of offers of let to empty properties within the blocks.”
He said that the physical condition of the blocks was “of concern”, with the external walls and stairwells in need of considerable remedial work.
Although he offered assurance there was no structural or safety risk, Mr Mills said the buildings were in places damaged beyond economical repair.
Councillors will be asked to approve the preferred option to demolish the blocks and build 22 new houses.
If they do, owners will be made offers for their properties, expected to total £400,000, and they and their neighbours will be rehoused.
Owners and tenants will also be compensated for disturbance and home loss.
Another option on the table is modernising one of the blocks and demolishing the others.
A fourth option — to use the site along with Bankie Park for a care village — was scrapped when Fife Health and Social Care Partnership ruled out building a care home at the park following a public campaign.
Mr Mills said the council had consulted with tenants, residents and owners and local councillors and the majority agreed the flats should be knocked down.
In a survey of tenants, concerns were voiced about management and property condition.
Individual meetings with tenants and residents began in December last year, to ensure that households were offered support and advice on their options and rights.