The family of a three-year-old boy who fell seriously ill at a Fife supermarket on Thursday afternoon have publicly thanked staff and passersby for their help.
Emergency services were called to the Morrisons supermarket in Largo Road, St Andrews, at around 11.30am when the youngster involved appeared to have stopped breathing.
Shocked employees and members of the public came to the boy’s assistance and are understood to have carried out CPR before paramedics arrived a short time later.
The three-year-old was rushed to Dundee’s Ninewells Hospital under a fast police escort and was being treated by medics there.
It is hoped he will make a full recovery, and officers have praised those who helped out in what would have been a terrifying situation for all involved.
A Police Scotland spokesperson confirmed: “Police in North East Fife attended at Morrisons supermarket in St Andrews on Thursday following reports of a three-year-old boy having taken unwell.
“The child was subsequently taken to Ninewells Hosptial in Dundee where he is receiving treatment.
“Police and the family of the little boy would sincerely like to thank the public and staff from Morrisons who provided assistance to them.”
It is understood the alarm was raised at the supermarket’s petrol station, with pharmacy staff at Morrisons said to have played a particularly important role.
Store general manager Colin Thomson commented: “We are so glad to have helped.
“I am so proud of my team for their quick thinking and brilliant first aid skills.”