The demolition of a Perth landmark is bringing to a close a chapter in the town’s history dating back more than a century and a half.
The Waverley Hotel opened its doors around 1900 but the original building on York Place – which has already been razed to the ground – dates back to around 1850.
The taller and later annexe building, to the rear of the hotel, is now coming down and is currently shrouded in scaffolding and material to protect passers-by from masonry.
Once completely cleared, the high-profile corner site on York Place/Caledonian Road will be used for businesswoman and philanthropist Ann Gloag’s £3.6 million plan to build a multi-use hall and gym.
The new facility will be linked to the adjacent Trinity Church of the Nazarene, where Ms Gloag is a member.
Once one of Perth’s most popular hotels, the Waverly stood across from what was the old cattle mart. It became a homeless hostel for a short time in 2011 but closed for good that year.
The building deteriorated and had become an eyesore by the time it was badly damaged in a fire in November 2015.
Planning permission was granted last year after council officials agreed that the best way forward for the remaining shell was demolition.