Partner admits driving too fast in winter conditions before crash which caused death of Dundee artist

© DC ThomsonPerth Sheriff Court.
Perth Sheriff Court.

An artist died following a crash caused by his partner after spinning out of control in a new car he had bought just a few hours earlier.

Gregory Edgar, 33, from Dundee died shortly after the head-on crash caused by Steven Martin driving too fast in the snowy conditions.

College lecturer Martin, 33, of Falcon Path, Glenrothes, was banned from driving yesterday after he admitted causing death by driving carelessly and at excessive speed on the A926 New Alyth to Blairgowrie road.

Fiscal depute David Barclay told Perth Sheriff Court yesterday: “The location of the collision is between two bends. The collision took place on Friday, January 19 2018.

“Mr Edgar was a front seat passenger in a Skoda Fabia being driven westwards by his partner Steven Martin. The car was purchased earlier that day.

“Stephen McCord was travelling eastwards in his Ford Ranger pick-up.

“His wife Yvonne McCord was the front seat passenger. The collision took place around 10.45am.

“As the Skoda negotiated a right hand bend it was driving too fast for the conditions and the accused has lost control.

“It is not suggested that the accused was travelling in excess of the speed limit but merely that he had failed to adjust his speed to account for the road condition.

“The accused appears to have over-corrected, resulting in his car crossing the carriageway, spinning clockwise, and striking the oncoming Ford Ranger nearside first.

“The driver of the Ford Ranger had anticipated the collision but the only evasive action available to him was to brake. He was either travelling very slowly or stationary at the point of impact.”

Mr Barclay said the McCords were able to get out of their vehicle and were later found to have suffered a number of injuries.

“The occupants of the car were trapped within. Gregory Edgar was drifting in and out of consciousness, bleeding and obviously seriously injured.

“He was taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee. He had a severe brain injury which he was unlikely to survive.

“Arrangements were made for him to undergo organ donation, which took place in the early hours of January 24 after family members had access to say their farewells.

“Treatment was withdrawn and Gregory Edgar died at 3.04am the same day.

“The accused sustained serious injury and was conveyed to Ninewells Hospital.

“It is understood he suffered a broken clavicle and a punctured lung.

“It is understood that he was off work for a lengthy period following this incident and that the loss of his partner has affected him greatly.”

Mr Barclay said Martin was interviewed by police and confirmed he had picked the Skoda Fabia up from the garage earlier that day.

“He did not think he was travelling too fast and mentioned that other vehicles had overtaken him during his journey.

“As for the actual collision, he thought he had lost control on a left hand bend.”

Mr Barclay told the court Martin had held a driving licence for less than two years at the time of the crash and sentence was deferred for the preparation of reports.

“The surviving relatives of Mr Edgar were in contact with prosecutors,” he said.

“Broadly speaking, they were understanding and forgiving towards the accused.”