A group of Travellers who have set up an encampment at the edge of a Perth industrial estate have been handed a formal eviction notice.
The decree was served by sheriff officers on Friday, March 22, meaning officers can now remove the group, who set up at Perth Food and Drink Park on Arran Road around three months ago.
Perth and Kinross Council had issued an informal warning to the group, who set up camp without permission, with an informal warning asking them to move on back in January, however this request went unheeded.
A local authority spokesperson said: “Since the arrival of an unauthorised encampment in late January, council officers have actively engaged with the residents as part of the council’s positive relationships with Gypsy/Traveller communities.
“This engagement, on an informal basis, requested that the group move on voluntarily.
“On this occasion they have not done so and so the council has no alternative means available other than to apply for Decree which has been granted and served.”
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The Courier newsletter
The site has been used by Travellers in the past, with those previously camped there explaining the site has been used by groups since World War II.
More recently, the site has been the centre of controversy when in 2017, more than £3,000 worth of damage was caused by a group of Travellers who removed a metal fence, concrete roadblocks and signage was moved.
Environment and infrastructure committee convener Angus Forbes highlighted that issuing Decrees is rare in Perth in Kinross, but has stressed that security needs to be looked at to prevent this situation from reoccurring.
He said: “It is unfortunate that the unauthorised camp near the Perth and Food Drink Park hasn’t been willing to move on after the informal discussions between council staff and the travellers on site.
“It is very unusual that the council has had to go to the courts in this circumstances, and I know that officers would far prefer not having to do this.
“Once the site is clear council staff will be able to look again at the security of the site to prevent future access.”
Members of the group declined to speak to The Courier.