Contentious plans for a radical redesign of Aberfeldy Square have been delayed, council chiefs have confirmed.
Work was due to begin on June 10, but will be pushed back for at least a month after complaints from local businesses.
Perth and Kinross Council has now struck a deal with Edinburgh-based P1 Solutions for the project, which will involve pavement and road reconstruction, as well as new street furniture and lighting.
However, the local authority has confirmed the work cannot begin until the scheme secures planning consent.
The £1 million plan triggered a row with local traders who said construction could deter customers and visitors during the busy summer season. There has also been concern about moving vehicles out of the centre, and encouraging drivers to park at the town’s community campus.
Kenmore and District Community Council is the latest group to object to the scheme.
>> Keep up to date with the latest news with The Courier newsletter
Chairman Peter Ely said: “The reduction of car parking spaces in the square is detrimental to those living outside of Aberfeldy and wishing to shop in Aberfeldy.
“Aberfeldy is already crowded. Using the campus car park is not an alternative for those wishing to shop. It is already usually full, particularly during school term.”
A council spokeswoman confirmed the work was behind schedule.
“The planning application for the Aberfeldy Square improvement project remains under consideration by the council, and consultation responses and letters of representations are being fully considered,” she said.
“It is expected that a final decision will be made on the application at the council’s Planning and Development Management Committee early in July, and in the event of an approval being forthcoming, it is anticipated that works will commence on July 15.
“We will continue to keep the local community informed regarding the project.”
Meanwhile, crucial work at the Cultullich Bridge, on the edge of town, will get under way on June 17.
Last year, businesses campaigned against the original construction plan that would have shut down part of the A827 for several weeks.
The council has now agreed a new stabilisation scheme with Crieff’s MAM Contracting that is expected to involve just two overnight road closures, and one shutdown during the daytime.
The council’s senior engineer Andy Brown said in a letter to residents that the timescale for the 10-week project had yet to be finalised.
“Consideration will be given to local events,” he said. “Road closures will be planned to avoid clashing with these events.”
The £200,000 scheme, which aims to stabilise the embankment after a landslip five years ago, will involve ground excavation, extra drainage and road repairs.
The council’s spokeswoman added: “We have understood previous concerns about keeping the road open and have taken this into consideration when developing the works. As always, we will do our best to keep any disruption to road users to a minimum.”