Sexual assault victims in Dundee wait longer for crisis centre support than in any other part of the country, shock figures reveal.
The waiting list at the Women’s Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, which covers Dundee and Angus, is 10 months, according to the Scottish Government data.
Ministers say their programme for government provides an extra £1.5 million for rape crisis centres, which will take effect from next month.
Monica Lennon, for Scottish Labour, said the funding “can’t come soon enough”.
“Traumatised women and girls are waiting up to 10 months for essential support and this should shame Scotland,” the MSP said.
“Survivors of sexual assault should always be able to access support services at the point of need.”
The waiting time for crisis support in Fife is six to seven months and four to six months for the equivalent centre in Perth & Kinross, as of last month.
The figures were revealed through a parliamentary question to new Equalities Minister Christina McKelvie.
Ms McKelvie said: “We know that having to wait for support a real life impact on victims, who deserve to be able to access the support they need.
“That is why Tuesday’s Programme for Government committed us to investing a further £2m over the next three years to speed up access to support for those affected by rape or sexual assault.
“This includes £1.5m for rape crisis centres, with that funding beginning from October so it can start to make a difference immediately.”