Welcome to The Courier’s morning politics briefing — everything you need to know about politics in your region and across the country, before you start your day.
- A potential deal between the SNP and Greens would risk the oil and gas sector “being held at knifepoint”, an MP has claimed.
- Scotland’s climate crisis: Broken promises and what the Scottish Government plans to do next.
- A new enthusiasm for folk reclaiming their language roots is behind a drive by campaigners to get politicians to support legislation in Holyrood that would promote the use of Scots in everyday life.
- A dramatic drop in the number of EU students applying to study in Scotland in the past year has been branded “deeply concerning”, with Brexit getting the blame.
- Nicola Sturgeon has been accused of jeopardising jobs after she demanded the UK Government launch a review of previously-approved oil and gas licences in order to respond to the “severity of the climate emergency”.
What’s happening today
- The proposed SNP-Green power-sharing pact is expected to near a conclusion as First Minister Nicola Sturgeon faces a backlash over her intervention on oil an gas licences.
In case you missed it
- A 3% pay rise has been confirmed for NHS medical and dental staff working in Scotland.
- The Scottish Greens have secured an expansion for the international network of Scotland House hubs as part of an increased external affairs presence, in coalition negotiations with the SNP, we understand.
- Could the Angel’s Share be contributing to climate change? Scottish Government challenged on lack of data.
- Scotland’s highest civil court will allow a review of the SNP Government’s decision to knock back calls for a so-called McMafia probe into Donald Trump’s wealth.