An area of water near Clatto Reservoir has been fenced off, amid claims a dog was poisoned by dangerous algae.
Dundee City Council received a complaint from a member of the public who said her pet had become ill and a barrier was put up around the field drain as a precaution.
The claim comes shortly after warning signs were put up at Clatto Reservoir, which is popular with dog walkers, to warn of a potentially dangerous blue-green algae infestation in the water.
Environment convener Craig Melville said: “From time to time, especially in summer, Clatto has problems with algae. This is unfortunate but the situation is monitored and dealt with.”
NHS Tayside issued a warning to dog walkers and those involved in water sports and included Clatto as a possible problem area.
Dr Jackie Hyland, consultant in public health medicine at NHS Tayside, said people who accidentally swallow affected water can suffer from complaints such as skin rashes, eye irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea or pains in muscles and joints. She added: “The risk to small animals like dogs is significant over the summer months, as they tend to drink more water in the heat and may eat shoreline algal crusts.
“Dog owners should keep an eye on their pets, especially if they come into contact with water which could be affected.
“The public should be reassured that public water supplies are always treated to prevent any harmful effects to health due to blue-green algae.”
A council spokesman said: “Following concerns from a member of the public, we have cordoned off the area as a precautionary measure and have contacted NHS Tayside.”
Algae has been a recurring problem at Clatto Reservoir for several years but the problem appears to be on the increase. Recent sampling has identified high levels of blue-green algae, while dangerous bacteria has been identified for the third time in 12 months.
A number of sites in and around Dundee are regularly monitored, Backwater, Den of Ogil, Glenogil and Lintrathen among them.