An unattended tea light has been blamed for a house fire in Montrose on Sunday night.
The blaze, in Carnegie Street, has prompted the fire service to issue a warning to the public.
Two appliances from Montrose attended at the one-and-a-half storey semi-detached house just after 9pm.
Firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly located the fire on the first floor and used hosereel jets to extinguish it.
They then used a thermal imaging camera to check for signs of fire spread. Thankfully no one was injured as a result of the blaze.
Watch manager Mike Cassie said: “This fire was caused by a tea light which had been left for a short period of time in an upstairs bedroom.
“The incident highlights the fact that candles should never be left unattended.
“The property also did not have working smoke alarms fitted, which would have alerted the occupants to the presence of a fire much more quickly.
“Smoke alarms save lives. If you don’t have one then call Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit and we will provide you with a smoke alarm free of charge.”
Mr Cassie also paid tribute to the response of the fire crews who attended the incident.
“The conditions inside the property were very challenging with a lot of thick smoke and intense heat. They did very well to contain the fire to the bedroom and prevent further fire spread,” he said.
A home fire safety visit can be arranged by calling 0800 0731 999 or texting “check” to 61611 using a mobile phone.