Ronald Hutcheson, the retired owner of Ron Hutcheson Motors Ltd, has died suddenly aged 78.
The Dundee businessman started his motoring career in 1970 but had previously worked in journalism and served in the RAF.
He was also a past president of Dundee Rotary Club and a past deacon of the Bonnetmaker’s Trade.
Educated at Rosebank Primary School and Harris Academy, Mr Hutcheson started an early career at DC Thomson on the Sunday Post and Weekly News.
He took a break from his journalism career to do National Service with the RAF from 1955-57, where he qualified as a drill instructor with the rank of leading aircraftman, acting corporal.
Four years later he joined the Daily Record, where he worked until 1965, before emigrating to the United States where he started a publishing company in New York.
Mr Hutcheson returned to Dundee at the end of 1970 to launch a new career in the motor trade, starting with modest beginnings in Greendykes Service Station on Arbroath Road.
The business rapidly expanded into car sales, servicing, repairs and rentals from numerous outlets spread across Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen, operating with various franchises including Lada, Skoda, Lancia, Fiat and Citroen before he sold the business to the Arnold Clark Motor Group in December 1989.
He enjoyed early retirement, travelling extensively, golfing and devoting much of his time to charitable fundraising through Dundee Rotary Club.
In 2008 he received the Paul Harris Fellowship Award, Rotary’s most prestigious accolade, for service in the community.
Mr Hutcheson, who lived in Newport, is survived by wife Margaret, their children Karen and Gordon, and grandchildren Lyndsay, Greg and Brad.
His funeral will take place at 12.30pm on Monday at Dundee Crematorium.