An “extremely toxic” horse medicine which could cause severe burns was stolen from a car on Ancrum Road at the weekend.
Police have issued a warning about the risks to anyone consuming the medicine, which they say is so strong it is capable of melting plastic.
The theft of the 250ml brown glass bottle, which has a white lid and contains the poisonous substance, called Deosect or Cypermethrin, took place between 9pm on Saturday and 1am on Sunday.
A spokesman said: “The substance is used to treat lice on horses. It is in the form of a clear liquid with a strong odour and is extremely concentrated.
“Undiluted in the form it was when stolen, the substance is capable of melting plastic and would be extremely toxic if consumed by humans with the likelihood of causing severe burns and poisoning if ingested.
“Police ask anyone with any information in relation to the incident or who may know of the substance’s whereabouts to contact Police Scotland immediately on 101 or speak to any police officer.”