A highly respected Cuparian with a true love of her town and its people has died in Adamson Hospital at the age of 85.
Ray Halford supported many local organisations and causes as a volunteer over the years.
She was well known for having an amazing knowledge of the town in which she was raised.
Born in her grandmother’s house on South Union Street, Cupar, Mrs Halford attended Castlehill and Bell Baxter schools, before joining the Potato Marketing Board in 1944 as a clerkess, a post she held for six years.
She had wanted to join the police, but was deemed too short. Determined to serve in some other way helping the public, she joined the Women’s Royal Voluntary Service.
From 1950 until the early 1960s, Mrs Halford was a clerkess with the former Fife County Council, working for the county treasurer, then joined Elmwood College in Cupar for six years as secretary to the principal.
A life-long supporter of the Conservative Party, Mrs Halford went on in the 1980s to become secretary and was in full charge of the Tories’ office in Crossgate, Cupar, until the appointment of an agent.
Taking a great interest in local education, she became a parent representative on Cupar School Council, also serving as vice-chairman.
She was also treasurer of Cupar and District Mental Health Association.
Her husband Bob, who had Halford Court named after him, died in 1986.
Mrs Halford is survived by her daughter Jess, son-in-law Szabolcs and grandchildren Thomas, 13, Lily, 10, and Bridget, 6.