Coronavirus cases in Lanarkshire are causing “particular concern” and tighter lockdown restrictions may have to be imposed, Nicola Sturgeon said.
The First Minister said provisional statistics indicate the area had the second-highest number of new cases recorded overnight, up by 39, as the figure across the country rose by 175 in the same period to 22,214.
She told the Scottish Government’s coronavirus briefing: “The situation in Lanarkshire is causing some particular concern today.
“There will be expert public health discussions over the course of today and depending on the judgments and conclusions that they arrive at, it may be that some additional restrictions may have to be applied there.
“We will, however, keep people updated.”
Lockdown restrictions on household visits across Glasgow, East Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire were continued for a further week on Monday, having first been introduced on September 1, and the area covered was extended to East Dunbartonshire and Renfrewshire.
People in these areas are barred from having visitors to their homes and from visiting other households, with exemptions for those within extended household group bubbles.
They are also prohibited from visiting homes in other local authorities not under the restrictions.
Indoor visits to hospitals and care homes are limited to essential visits only in these areas to protect the most vulnerable.
Ms Sturgeon said provisional figures show NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde was the health board area with the highest rise in cases in the past 24 hours, up by 80, while there were 24 in NHS Lothian and 12 in Ayrshire and Arran.
Giving further information on the daily coronavirus statistics, she said the new cases across Scotland are 2.7% of people newly tested, up from 1.9% on Thursday.
The First Minister said no more deaths of confirmed patients have been recorded in the past 24 hours and this toll remains at 2,499.
There are 269 people in hospital confirmed to have the virus, up by three in 24 hours. Of these patients, eight were in intensive care, a rise of one.
Ms Sturgeon said more than 600,000 people have now downloaded the Protect Scotland mobile phone contact tracing app, but added that for it to be “as effective as possible, to help us in the fight against Covid and also help us live a bit more normally, we need as many people across Scotland to download it and use it”.
She said the new app would enhance the existing contact tracing system, saying it could give “almost immediate notification” to people if someone they had been in contact with had tested positive for Covid-19.
Ms Sturgeon said the numbers signing up to use the app had been “excellent” and “probably beyond our initial expectations”.
She added: “We’ve got to keep that going, we’ve got to keep the numbers growing, because the more of us who download and use it, the more effective this app will be.”
Support The Courier today.
The Courier is committed to delivering quality content to our communities and right now that’s more important than ever — which is why our key content is free. However, you can support us and access premium content by subscribing to The Courier from just £5.99 a month. Because Local Matters.Subscribe