A ward at Scotland’s biggest hospital has been closed to new admissions after an outbreak of coronavirus among patients and staff.
Positive cases have been confirmed at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, where control measures have been put in place in a bid to stop the virus spreading further.
In a statement, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) confirmed the closure is a temporary move along with contact tracing taking place and self-isolation of those affected.
The health board said: “We have a number of positive cases in a ward at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital and staff are working extremely hard to ensure the appropriate measures have been implemented to minimise the spread of the virus.
“This includes the temporary closure of the ward to new admissions and other Covid-19 control measures.
“All those affected have been contact traced, screened and are self-isolating.
“All asymptomatic contact patients are being cared for separately from the confirmed cases.
“In the meantime, our staff continue to follow strict infection prevention and control guidelines to ensure we’re able to continue treating our patients without putting them at additional risk due to Covid-19.”
During Monday’s daily coronavirus briefing, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon confirmed 359 of the 961 new cases in the past 24 hours were in the NHSGGC area.
The hospital also houses one of the UK’s three sites that was launched earlier this year to rapidly expand testing capacity.
The Glasgow Lighthouse Lab, hosted by the University of Glasgow at the hospital campus, officially began Covid-19 testing in April.
Scottish Conservative health spokesman Donald Cameron said: “This is an extremely concerning development and my thoughts are with those patients and staff affected.
“The Scottish Government must take urgent action to prevent this outbreak spreading even further and ensure contract tracing systems are working as robustly as possible.
“Patients who rely on this flagship hospital must be reassured this is being investigated immediately.”
Meanwhile, NHS Lothian has confirmed another patient has died at a Western General Hospital ward which was closed to new admissions following an outbreak.
The health board said three further patients had tested positive but could not give total figures as it could reveal identities, although total deaths remain under five.
There have been six members of staff who have been confirmed as having Covid-19, all of whom are self-isolating.
Support The Courier today.
The Courier is committed to delivering quality content to our communities and right now that’s more important than ever — which is why our key content is free. However, you can support us and access premium content by subscribing to The Courier from just £5.99 a month. Because Local Matters.Subscribe