The San Diego Comic-Con has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The event, the largest fan convention in North America, had been due to attract more than 130,000 people to Southern California over July 23–26.
However, organisers said in light of the health crisis, it would not be safe to take place.
It is the first time San Diego Comic-Con has been cancelled in its 50-year history.
A state of emergency has been declared in California and Governor Gavin Newsom said this week large-scale events are “not in the cards” for the foreseeable future.
In a statement, Comic-Con said: “Recognising that countless attendees save and plan for its conventions each year, and how many exhibitors and stakeholders rely upon its events for a major portion of their livelihood, they (organisers) had hoped to delay this decision in anticipation that Covid-19 concerns might lessen by summer.
“Continuous monitoring of health advisories and recent statements by the Governor of California have made it clear that it would not be safe to move forward with plans for this year.”
San Diego Comic-Con will return in 2021 on July 22-25, the statement added.
Fans who had bought tickets for the 2020 convention will be able to ask for a refund or transfer their badges to next year.
Comic-Con was one of the few remaining major entertainment events not to be cancelled by the virus, which has had a disastrous impact on the industry.
Nearly all major Hollywood film releases have been postponed, including Mulan, A Quiet Place 2 and No Time To Die, with cinemas in both the UK and US closed.