105540 Search results for ‘qs/Royal%20College%20of%20Surgeons/rf/sample/qt/article_slideshow/qc/tag’

Man bailed in M20 murder probe

February 23 2018

A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after the body of a woman was found on the M20 has been released on bail.The body was discovered by police on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The road was closed between junctions 9 and 10 for nearly 24 hours while the scene was investigated.Officers appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward and a man handed himself in at a police station on Wednesday evening, Kent Police said.On Friday morning the force said the man had been released on bail until March 15.The circumstances surrounding the death of the 32-year-old from Kent remain a mystery and detectives are continuing to investigate.A post-mortem is expected to take place at midday on Friday.Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw a Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

M20 body identified as man arrested in murder probe

February 22 2018

Police have identified the body found on the M20 as a 32-year-old woman from Kent.A man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in custody, Kent Police said on Thursday afternoon.Officers discovered the body on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The road was closed between junctions 9 and 10 for nearly 24 hours while the scene was investigated.Officers initially appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward and a man handed himself in at a police station on Wednesday evening.The incident caused hours of delays with between six and seven miles of queues stretching back to junction 11 and a diversion was in place.The road reopened shortly before 3pm on Wednesday.An accountant from Ashford told Press Association of his shock at the scene he saw while driving on to the coastbound stretch of motorway at about 6.20pm on Tuesday while emergency services were on the opposite side of the road.The 21-year-old, who asked not to be named, said: “As I entered the motorway I expected to see a crash, when I suddenly realised that it wasn’t and unfortunately it appeared to be a body lying in the central lane with police and ambulance staff around it.“Because of the torches being shone by police (I could see) it appeared that the body had been struck by vehicles.“It was very shocking. It is not a sight I would want anyone to witness.“My condolences are with the family of the deceased.”Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw the Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

Business news

Prestigious BP oil contract for Dundee project management training company

June 7 2017

Dundee-headquartered training provider 20/20 Business Insight has won a prestigious contract with one of the world’s leading oil and gas companies. The Broughty Ferry-based company, which also has offices in Aberdeen, London and the USA, has been awarded preferred supplier status under a master contract by BP for providing project management training globally. Ironically, the prestigious account has been won after 20/20 stepped away from its previous focus almost entirely on the oil and gas sector – adding BP to a diverse client portfolio that now includes Wood Group, Centrica, Balfour Beatty, British Aerospace, Hinckley Point, Network Rail, Diageo and Wm Grant. Chief executive officer Tony Marks, who said the new status came off the back of recent big contract wins within the nuclear power industry, added: “20|20 are delighted to have been awarded preferred supplier status under a master contract by BP for providing project management training globally. “It’s a great team performance in demonstrating our international capability and upstream oil industry experience to win this prestigious account.” 20|20 Business Insight, which employs 26 staff and had revenues of £2.84 million last year, is a full service, project management, business and leadership training and consulting company who deliver training courses and consulting services throughout the world. It is the largest independent provider of project management training courses in the UK. The consulting team work with companies to analyse competence baselines and deliver maturity assessments, design bespoke and accredited training programmes, create handbooks and manuals, implement project management procedures and protocols and then measure and report effectiveness. Mr Marks said that crucially, they had the ability to deliver internationally-accredited training and consulting anywhere in the world, primarily in oil and gas, engineering and construction, utilities, nuclear, food and drink However, despite an international outlook, they remained proud to be rooted in Dundee. “We are big fans of Dundee and supporters of the Tay Cities Deal to bring jobs, including de-commissioning, to Dundee,” he added. “When we started in 2003, we were almost exclusively in the oil and gas sector before diversifying into other sectors. We were lucky because two years ago the oil and gas sector started to decline, and accounts for around 10% of the work we do now.” Mr Marks has been involved in business for 27 years and has seen four or five cycles based on the oil barrel price changing. During that period, the level of business has come back smaller each time. “So it’s quite interesting we are back in the oil and gas sector now,” he added. He said the BP deal had been going on behind the scenes for nine months and “should mean quite a jump in business for us.” He added: “It’s not a guarantee of any level of work. But the revenue should be significant and comes off the back of other big contract wins.”

Giving priority to Test matches ‘a luxury’ for bigger countries, says Morgan

February 24 2018

Eoin Morgan fears the opportunity to salvage Test cricket’s primacy over short formats may already have been missed.At 31, England’s white-ball captain played the last of his 16 Tests more than six years ago, and has already publicly acknowledged more than once that his international future is exclusive to 50 and 20-over fixtures.He is nonetheless a notable voice in the debate about Test cricket’s status, and appears in little doubt that the threat from lucrative Twenty20 domestic franchise contracts is no longer a mere talking point but present and future reality.Two cases in point reside in his own England team following Alex Hales and Adil Rashid’s decisions in recent weeks to sign white-ball only contracts with their respective counties – and therefore effectively sacrifice any Test ambitions for the foreseeable future.“Test match cricket has had a lot to worry about for quite a while now,” said the Irishman.“If something was going to be done about it, it probably should have been done already.“There are still, I suppose, different ideas being thrown around – but actually giving priority to Test matches is sort of a luxury now for the bigger countries around the world.“For other countries, T20 franchise cricket takes priority.” Proposed measures to come to the aid of Test cricket have, of late, included the advent of day-night pink-ball fixtures and an inaugural four-day match.Morgan senses, however, that a correction of player finances from global administrators may yet be the most effective policy.“The best ideas probably being bandied around are putting most revenue behind the match appearances or actual prize money towards Test match cricket,” he said.“(Then) there’s no [influence] on what format people choose, simply because of the money they might make.“(Their decision) is all down to how good they are at that particular format.”As for the switches made of late by Hales and Rashid, Morgan is supportive.“I think it’s a really good decision for those individuals,” he added.“Every individual is different – they see their future and their pathway changing all the time, and it’s okay to be able to change it.“A lot of people actually are forced into a position to play one or two formats – which I think is wrong, because it’s their own career, it’s their own future.“They need to take hold of it and make the most of it while they can.”

Police name woman found dead on M20

February 24 2018

A woman who was found dead on the M20 has been named as Dominique Worrall.The 32-year-old’s body was discovered by police on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday.A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after officers appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward has been released on bail, Kent Police said.The circumstances surrounding Ms Worrall’s death remain a mystery and detectives are continuing to investigate.Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw a Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

Lengthy tailbacks on M20 after collision follows discovery of body

February 21 2018

Motorists on a major link to the Channel Tunnel and Dover port have been experiencing miles of tailbacks after a body was found on the road and a later collision forced police to close the M20 in both directions.Officers were called to the London-bound carriageway between junctions 10 and nine, near Ashford, Kent, at 6.05pm on Tuesday after a body was found. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.Then at 8am on Wednesday, four cars and a lorry were involved in a collision on the coast-bound carriageway, forcing it to be closed to all traffic. It has since reopened.The driver of the lorry, a 42-year-old man, has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.A woman was airlifted to a London hospital with injuries and a man was taken to a local hospital following the crash. Witnesses at the scene said they had been at a standstill for about two-and-a-half-hours.By 10.30am on Wednesday, drivers were experiencing six miles of queues back to junction 11 on the London-bound carriageway and the road closure was affecting travel to the Eurotunnel and the Port of Dover.The Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, which investigates incidents including murder and organised crime, is working with road collision investigators to determine the cause of death in the first incident, which is currently being treated as unexplained.Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vickery said: “I would like to hear from motorists who have dashcam footage taken between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday February 20 of the M20 London-bound carriageway between junctions 10 and nine.“I would also ask motorists who used the M20 after 6pm on Tuesday to contact us if they believe they experienced anything unusual whilst driving and check their cars for signs of a collision.“We do not underestimate the impact that closing this stretch of the motorway has on people and I thank them for their patience. It is crucial that we ensure that all evidence is collected. As soon as the motorway is reopened the opportunity to collate potentially crucial information is lost.“We are working tirelessly at the scene and I am hopeful a lane of the M20 will be re-opened later today.”A large green screen has been put up where the body was found and a line of police officers wearing white protective covers on their feet has been seen slowly walking the stretch of the carriageway towards the screen while examining the surface.

Melbourne to host T20 finals in 2020

January 30 2018

The finals of the men’s and women’s World Twenty20 in 2020 will be held at the MCG.Cricket Australia has announced the hosts venues for the tournaments, with Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Geelong, Hobart, Perth and Sydney joining Melbourne on the list.The women’s competition takes place first, running from February 21 to March 8, with the men’s event starting on October 18 and closing on November 15.It is the first time both editions will be take place in the same country in the same year but as distinct tournaments.International Cricket Council chief executive David Richardson said: “I’d like to thank Cricket Australia and their partners in Government at all levels for their commitment to the ICC World T20 in 2020. “The ambition they have shown firstly in delivering stand-alone men’s and women’s events and then in the venue selection – that will, I hope, set a record for the biggest ever attendance at a women’s sporting event – is exciting for the sport. “Australia has a proven track record of delivering world-class events in world-class stadiums and we know we can rely on the fans to provide great support for all of the competing teams.”

Driver tells of ‘shocking’ scene after body found on M20 motorway

February 21 2018

A driver has told of his shock when he saw a body lying in the middle of a busy motorway.Part of the London-bound M20 near Ashford in Kent is still closed between junctions nine and 10 after police made the discovery at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.An accountant from Ashford said he was driving onto the coastbound stretch of motorway at about 6.20pm when he saw emergency services on the opposite side of the road.The 21-year-old, who asked not to be named, told the Press Association: “As I entered the motorway I expected to see a crash when I suddenly realised that it wasn’t and unfortunately it appeared to be a body lying in the central lane with police and ambulance staff around it.“Because of the torches being shone by police [I could see] it appeared that the body had been struck by vehicles.“It was very shocking. It is not a sight I would want anyone to witness.“My condolences are with the family of the deceased.”His comments come as Kent Police appealed for drivers to check their vehicles for any signs of a collision and look at dash cam footage.Officers are no longer appealing for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX to come forward after a man attended a police station on Wednesday evening. The force said it is still appealing for information from anyone who saw the car driving along the road between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday.Officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, which investigates offences like murder and organised crime, are trying to determine the cause of death which is currently being treated as unexplained.A large green screen was put up where the body was found, and a line of police officers wearing white protective covers on their feet slowly walked the stretch of the carriageway towards the screen while examining the road on Wednesday morning.The incident caused hours of delays with between six and seven miles of queues stretching back to junction 11 and a diversion was in place. The road and the exit slip road reopened shortly after 4pm and delays have cleared, police and highways officials said.At 8am on Wednesday, four cars and a lorry were involved in a collision on the opposite stretch of the same section of motorway. It was closed to all traffic for several hours but has since re-opened.A 42-year-old man who was driving the lorry has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.A man and a woman were taken to hospital to be treated for their injuries.Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vickery said: “We do not underestimate the impact that closing this stretch of the motorway had on people and I would like to thank drivers who were delayed for their patience while we ensured that all evidence was collected before the motorway was reopened.”

Car driver sought following discovery of body on M20 motorway

February 21 2018

Police are seeking the driver of a car in connection with the discovery of a body on a motorway.Motorists suffered lengthy delays when the M20 in Kent was closed, initially London-bound, after the body was found – and then also coast-bound following an accident.Officers were called to the motorway between junctions 10 and nine, near Ashford, Kent, at 6.05pm on Tuesday after a body was found. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.Then at 8am on Wednesday, four cars and a lorry were involved in a collision on the coast-bound carriageway, forcing it to be closed to all traffic. It has since reopened in this direction.Police have appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai, or anyone who saw the car driving on the M20 between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday, to contact them.A Kent Police spokesman said: “Detectives believe the driver of a car, with registration KY15 WWX, may have important information relating to the incident.“Additionally, anyone who may know the location of the vehicle is urged to contact the police.“Officers are also appealing for motorists to check their dash cams and their vehicles for any sign of a collision.”The 42-year-old male driver of the lorry involved in the accident on Wednesday has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.A woman was airlifted to a London hospital with injuries and a man was taken to a local hospital following the crash.Witnesses at the scene said they had been at a standstill for about two-and-a-half-hours.By 10.30am on Wednesday, drivers were experiencing six miles of queues back to junction 11 on the London-bound carriageway, and the road closure was affecting travel to the Eurotunnel and the Port of Dover.The Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, which investigates incidents including murder and organised crime, is working with road collision investigators to determine the cause of death in the first incident, which is currently being treated as unexplained.Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vickery said: “We do not underestimate the impact that closing this stretch of the motorway has on people and I thank them for their patience. It is crucial that we ensure that all evidence is collected. As soon as the motorway is reopened the opportunity to collate potentially crucial information is lost.“We are working tirelessly at the scene and I am hopeful the M20 will be reopened shortly.”A large green screen has been put up where the body was found, and a line of police officers wearing white protective covers on their feet has been seen slowly walking the stretch of the carriageway towards the screen while examining the surface.

Motoring news

Audi’s new Q cars

April 12 2017

Another week, another new Audi. Two new Audis, in fact. The German car maker has announced a couple more additions to its Q line up of SUVs. The Q4 is a coupe-SUV hybrid that will go up against the BMW X4 and Mercedes GLC Coupe. As its name suggests, it’ll be positioned between the compact Q3 and bigger Q5. At the other end of the scale is the Q8, which will go head to head against the Range Rover. It’s lower and sleeker than the Q7 Audi is also producing. In concept form, it sat only four people, although it seems likely the production version will be a five seater. There’s a 630 litre boot as well. Eagle eyed Audi followers will notice the only SUV slots left to fill are the Q1 and Q6. Watch this space...

Breaking

    Cancel