112702 Search results for ‘qs/Scottish%20National%20Portrait%20Gallery/rf/sample/qt/article_slideshow/qc/tag’

Books

Frank McDiarmid’s paintings on show at Whitehills Health and Community Centre

February 12 2011

Colourful watercolour scenes from around the world are brightening up the Forfar centre's walls. Frank McDiarmid, who opened his own gallery in his home town of Arbroath in 1993, has been chosen by the Whitehills Health and Community Centre to showcase 22 of his watercolours until March 31. As well as portraits of Angus scenes, visitors will also have the chance to sample scenes from as far away as New Zealand and Cyprus. Mr McDiarmid, who began his career as a cartoonist with D. C. Thomson & Co Ltd, will donate 20% of all commissions he receives from the exhibition to the Whitehills Art and Environment Fund.

Man bailed in M20 murder probe

February 23 2018

A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after the body of a woman was found on the M20 has been released on bail.The body was discovered by police on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The road was closed between junctions 9 and 10 for nearly 24 hours while the scene was investigated.Officers appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward and a man handed himself in at a police station on Wednesday evening, Kent Police said.On Friday morning the force said the man had been released on bail until March 15.The circumstances surrounding the death of the 32-year-old from Kent remain a mystery and detectives are continuing to investigate.A post-mortem is expected to take place at midday on Friday.Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw a Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

M20 body identified as man arrested in murder probe

February 22 2018

Police have identified the body found on the M20 as a 32-year-old woman from Kent.A man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in custody, Kent Police said on Thursday afternoon.Officers discovered the body on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday. The road was closed between junctions 9 and 10 for nearly 24 hours while the scene was investigated.Officers initially appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward and a man handed himself in at a police station on Wednesday evening.The incident caused hours of delays with between six and seven miles of queues stretching back to junction 11 and a diversion was in place.The road reopened shortly before 3pm on Wednesday.An accountant from Ashford told Press Association of his shock at the scene he saw while driving on to the coastbound stretch of motorway at about 6.20pm on Tuesday while emergency services were on the opposite side of the road.The 21-year-old, who asked not to be named, said: “As I entered the motorway I expected to see a crash, when I suddenly realised that it wasn’t and unfortunately it appeared to be a body lying in the central lane with police and ambulance staff around it.“Because of the torches being shone by police (I could see) it appeared that the body had been struck by vehicles.“It was very shocking. It is not a sight I would want anyone to witness.“My condolences are with the family of the deceased.”Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw the Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

Business news

Prestigious BP oil contract for Dundee project management training company

June 7 2017

Dundee-headquartered training provider 20/20 Business Insight has won a prestigious contract with one of the world’s leading oil and gas companies. The Broughty Ferry-based company, which also has offices in Aberdeen, London and the USA, has been awarded preferred supplier status under a master contract by BP for providing project management training globally. Ironically, the prestigious account has been won after 20/20 stepped away from its previous focus almost entirely on the oil and gas sector – adding BP to a diverse client portfolio that now includes Wood Group, Centrica, Balfour Beatty, British Aerospace, Hinckley Point, Network Rail, Diageo and Wm Grant. Chief executive officer Tony Marks, who said the new status came off the back of recent big contract wins within the nuclear power industry, added: “20|20 are delighted to have been awarded preferred supplier status under a master contract by BP for providing project management training globally. “It’s a great team performance in demonstrating our international capability and upstream oil industry experience to win this prestigious account.” 20|20 Business Insight, which employs 26 staff and had revenues of £2.84 million last year, is a full service, project management, business and leadership training and consulting company who deliver training courses and consulting services throughout the world. It is the largest independent provider of project management training courses in the UK. The consulting team work with companies to analyse competence baselines and deliver maturity assessments, design bespoke and accredited training programmes, create handbooks and manuals, implement project management procedures and protocols and then measure and report effectiveness. Mr Marks said that crucially, they had the ability to deliver internationally-accredited training and consulting anywhere in the world, primarily in oil and gas, engineering and construction, utilities, nuclear, food and drink However, despite an international outlook, they remained proud to be rooted in Dundee. “We are big fans of Dundee and supporters of the Tay Cities Deal to bring jobs, including de-commissioning, to Dundee,” he added. “When we started in 2003, we were almost exclusively in the oil and gas sector before diversifying into other sectors. We were lucky because two years ago the oil and gas sector started to decline, and accounts for around 10% of the work we do now.” Mr Marks has been involved in business for 27 years and has seen four or five cycles based on the oil barrel price changing. During that period, the level of business has come back smaller each time. “So it’s quite interesting we are back in the oil and gas sector now,” he added. He said the BP deal had been going on behind the scenes for nine months and “should mean quite a jump in business for us.” He added: “It’s not a guarantee of any level of work. But the revenue should be significant and comes off the back of other big contract wins.”

Angus & The Mearns

Montrose Museum event explores the ’20s cultural revolution

February 26 2015

Former Gable ender Denis Rice’s personal recollections of Tom MacDonald were the subject of a special Montrose museum event. MacDonald, who wrote as Fionn MacColla and penned well-known works including And the Cock Crew and The Albannach, was born and educated in Montrose. He was one of the main advocates of the Scottish Renaissance, which began in Montrose, fuelled by the genius of Hugh MacDiarmid and writers Willa and Edwin Muir, Violet Jacob, Helen Cruickshank and artists Edward Baird and William Lamb. Mr Rice’s talk was staged in conjunction with Ideas of Their Ain, an exhibition of national importance curated by staff at Montrose museum. It features art, archives and memorabilia brought together for the first time, from the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, the National Library of Scotland, Stirling University library, Angus Council libraries, museums and many private collections. The exhibition looks at the inspiration Montrose provided to the main players of the Scottish Renaissance during the nation’s ’20s cultural revolution.

Dundee

Cecil Beaton’s royal portraits will be city’s first V&A exhibition

June 9 2011

A unique collection of royal portraits will become Dundee's first V&A exhibition later this year. The McManus art gallery and museum is to be the first place in the UK to host the display of portraits of the Queen by Cecil Beaton to celebrate her diamond jubilee. The exhibition will run from September 30 to January 8 and is the first in a series of partnership projects between the McManus and the V&A as part of the run-up to construction and eventual opening of the V&A in Dundee. Fiona Hyslop, cabinet secretary for culture and external affairs, said, "Part of the £5 million of government funding that I announced in January included support for the pre-opening programme of exhibitions that will begin with this outstanding selection of Cecil Beaton's royal photography. "The V&A will be a stunning landmark building on Dundee's waterfront, and the funding is a reflection of the significance we attach to this project as a showcase for our creative industries and as a magnet for visitors, enhancing Scotland's reputation as a creative nation. "I am delighted the programme is starting with such an appealing free exhibition that provides just a foretaste of the unparalleled shows that Scotland will enjoy in future from the V&A." Dundee City Council leisure, arts and communities convener Bob Duncan said, "I am delighted that this exhibition is coming to Dundee. It will act as an additional attraction to the McManus, which is a hugely popular destination in the city. "People of Dundee and further afield are excited at the prospect of the V&A at Dundee, and this exhibition shows how the partnership is already delivering benefits." Lesley Knox, the chairwoman of Design Dundee, the company delivering the V&A at Dundee, said, "We are looking forward to an exciting and varied range of exhibitions from the V&A over the next four years as we work towards opening our new building." The images in the exhibition depict the Queen and royal family, contrasting highly staged state occasions with intimate family moments. It charts how the representation of the royals has changed and also examines Beaton's working methods, styles and approaches, revealing him as one of the 20th century's masters of photography. Beaton's royal portraits were among the most widely published photographs of the 20th century. The exhibition explores his long relationship with the Queen, who was a teenage princess when she first sat for him in 1942. Over the next three decades, he photographed her on many significant occasions, including her coronation day. The exhibition in Dundee will feature over 60 items, from wartime photographs of Princess Elizabeth with her family, to tender images of the Queen with her own young children and official portraits that convey the magnitude of her role as Britain's monarch. An expanded exhibition will be hosted at the V&A in London from February 8 to April 22 next year. The display will then visit Leeds City Museum, Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery, and Laing Art Gallery in Newcastle.

Giving priority to Test matches ‘a luxury’ for bigger countries, says Morgan

February 24 2018

Eoin Morgan fears the opportunity to salvage Test cricket’s primacy over short formats may already have been missed.At 31, England’s white-ball captain played the last of his 16 Tests more than six years ago, and has already publicly acknowledged more than once that his international future is exclusive to 50 and 20-over fixtures.He is nonetheless a notable voice in the debate about Test cricket’s status, and appears in little doubt that the threat from lucrative Twenty20 domestic franchise contracts is no longer a mere talking point but present and future reality.Two cases in point reside in his own England team following Alex Hales and Adil Rashid’s decisions in recent weeks to sign white-ball only contracts with their respective counties – and therefore effectively sacrifice any Test ambitions for the foreseeable future.“Test match cricket has had a lot to worry about for quite a while now,” said the Irishman.“If something was going to be done about it, it probably should have been done already.“There are still, I suppose, different ideas being thrown around – but actually giving priority to Test matches is sort of a luxury now for the bigger countries around the world.“For other countries, T20 franchise cricket takes priority.” Proposed measures to come to the aid of Test cricket have, of late, included the advent of day-night pink-ball fixtures and an inaugural four-day match.Morgan senses, however, that a correction of player finances from global administrators may yet be the most effective policy.“The best ideas probably being bandied around are putting most revenue behind the match appearances or actual prize money towards Test match cricket,” he said.“(Then) there’s no [influence] on what format people choose, simply because of the money they might make.“(Their decision) is all down to how good they are at that particular format.”As for the switches made of late by Hales and Rashid, Morgan is supportive.“I think it’s a really good decision for those individuals,” he added.“Every individual is different – they see their future and their pathway changing all the time, and it’s okay to be able to change it.“A lot of people actually are forced into a position to play one or two formats – which I think is wrong, because it’s their own career, it’s their own future.“They need to take hold of it and make the most of it while they can.”

Police name woman found dead on M20

February 24 2018

A woman who was found dead on the M20 has been named as Dominique Worrall.The 32-year-old’s body was discovered by police on the London-bound carriageway near Ashford at 6.05pm on Tuesday.A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder after officers appealed for the driver of a silver Nissan Qashqai to come forward has been released on bail, Kent Police said.The circumstances surrounding Ms Worrall’s death remain a mystery and detectives are continuing to investigate.Police are still appealing for drivers who were on the road at the time to check their vehicles for signs of a collision, and for anyone with dash cam footage or who saw a Nissan Qashqai with the registration KY15 WWX at the time of the incident to come forward.

Lengthy tailbacks on M20 after collision follows discovery of body

February 21 2018

Motorists on a major link to the Channel Tunnel and Dover port have been experiencing miles of tailbacks after a body was found on the road and a later collision forced police to close the M20 in both directions.Officers were called to the London-bound carriageway between junctions 10 and nine, near Ashford, Kent, at 6.05pm on Tuesday after a body was found. The person was pronounced dead at the scene.Then at 8am on Wednesday, four cars and a lorry were involved in a collision on the coast-bound carriageway, forcing it to be closed to all traffic. It has since reopened.The driver of the lorry, a 42-year-old man, has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and remains in police custody.A woman was airlifted to a London hospital with injuries and a man was taken to a local hospital following the crash. Witnesses at the scene said they had been at a standstill for about two-and-a-half-hours.By 10.30am on Wednesday, drivers were experiencing six miles of queues back to junction 11 on the London-bound carriageway and the road closure was affecting travel to the Eurotunnel and the Port of Dover.The Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, which investigates incidents including murder and organised crime, is working with road collision investigators to determine the cause of death in the first incident, which is currently being treated as unexplained.Detective Chief Inspector Richard Vickery said: “I would like to hear from motorists who have dashcam footage taken between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Tuesday February 20 of the M20 London-bound carriageway between junctions 10 and nine.“I would also ask motorists who used the M20 after 6pm on Tuesday to contact us if they believe they experienced anything unusual whilst driving and check their cars for signs of a collision.“We do not underestimate the impact that closing this stretch of the motorway has on people and I thank them for their patience. It is crucial that we ensure that all evidence is collected. As soon as the motorway is reopened the opportunity to collate potentially crucial information is lost.“We are working tirelessly at the scene and I am hopeful a lane of the M20 will be re-opened later today.”A large green screen has been put up where the body was found and a line of police officers wearing white protective covers on their feet has been seen slowly walking the stretch of the carriageway towards the screen while examining the surface.

Melbourne to host T20 finals in 2020

January 30 2018

The finals of the men’s and women’s World Twenty20 in 2020 will be held at the MCG.Cricket Australia has announced the hosts venues for the tournaments, with Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Geelong, Hobart, Perth and Sydney joining Melbourne on the list.The women’s competition takes place first, running from February 21 to March 8, with the men’s event starting on October 18 and closing on November 15.It is the first time both editions will be take place in the same country in the same year but as distinct tournaments.International Cricket Council chief executive David Richardson said: “I’d like to thank Cricket Australia and their partners in Government at all levels for their commitment to the ICC World T20 in 2020. “The ambition they have shown firstly in delivering stand-alone men’s and women’s events and then in the venue selection – that will, I hope, set a record for the biggest ever attendance at a women’s sporting event – is exciting for the sport. “Australia has a proven track record of delivering world-class events in world-class stadiums and we know we can rely on the fans to provide great support for all of the competing teams.”

Breaking

    Cancel