Families fled in terror from a fire in a Dundee block of flats.
Three fire engines raced to Main Street in the Hilltown after reports that the communal hallway of a two-storey block was filled with thick black smoke.
Two families living in the block said they had to climb out first floor windows to escape.
Nikki Smith, 32, said her and her three children — including an 18-month-old baby — were lowered out of a window by her partner John McKelvie.
Nikki said: “I was absolutely terrified.
“I fell a bit and landed on my neighbour who broke my fall.
“John then lowered baby Cree, who is only 18 months old, out to me. I was terrified I would drop him but I managed to catch him.
“John then managed to get himself out of the flat. He is all bruised but I believe he saved my life and that of the children.”
John had also managed to lower daughter Nahdean, 9, out to her mum before son Reehio, 12, managed to climb out to safety.
The family’s pet rottweiler Snoop, was left at the open window but was not injured.
The family’s neighbour Rosemary Whyte said she was faced with a wall of “thick, choking black smoke” when she opened her door.
She said: “The kids who were in the flat are aged two to 19.
“We moved them all in to the sitting room – that was the only room not affected by smoke – and opened the window.
“When we looked outside I saw our neighbours jumping out of their windows.
“One of them threw their baby out of the window.
“People were so scared.”
She added the family considered leaping from the window too but changed their minds after the fire brigade arrived and shouted to the couple to stay in their flat.
A spokesperson for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire service received a call in regards to a report of a dwelling fire at 10.25pm on Wednesday April 24.
“Police as well as an ambulance were in attendance.
“Two pumps were sent initially before another was sent one minute later.
“The fire had occurred within a block of flats and had been extinguished before arrival.
“The stairwell was heavily filled with smoke.
“Fire fighters used four breathing apparatus and two hose reels to deal with the incident.
“One male occupant was checked over by the ambulance service.”
A spokesperson for the Scottish Ambulance Service said no patients were treated or taken to hospital.
The fire is not believed to be suspicious.