History made as Crieff estate sells for first time in 500 years By Kirsty McIntosh February 27 2015, 9.59am Share History made as Crieff estate sells for first time in 500 years Share via Facebook Twitter Linkedin Whatsapp Messenger Email Post link https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/perth-kinross/253030/history-made-as-crieff-estate-sells-for-first-time-in-500-years/ Copy Link A Perthshire estate has been sold for the first time in nearly 500 years. Dollerie House and its grounds come with an annexe, separate cottage and even a “witches’ bridge”. Once part of a much larger estate, the property has been owned by the Murray family since 1554 and has never been up for sale before. It has been snapped up by a mystery buyer after two years on the market, where it was advertised for offers over £1.5 million. However, it is unknown how much the buyer has paid. The present B-listed house was built in about 1780 to replace a tower house, which lay 100 yards to the north. The earlier house was demolished to basement level and used as an ice house. The newer building features a plaque, brought from the old house and dated 1741, which reads: “in humane life thers nothing stedfast stands youth riches glorie fades deaths sure att hand”. This proved to be prophetic as just five years later a son of the family was killed at Culloden. The witches’ bridge crosses the Pow Burn near the main house. It is believed its crooked construction prevented it being crossed by witches, who would only traverse if able to see to the other side.