A court case described as a “shambolic mess” against four Royal Marines is set to end in their trial on Monday.
Four marines from RM Condor near Arbroath have been accused of fighting and committing a breach of the peace in the town on January 19 last year.
Two of the men face warrants for their arrest when they touch down in the UK for trial, while a third did not attend a pre-trial hearing on Tuesday as instructed.
Only one, 22-year-old Sam Neasham, appeared in Forfar Sheriff Court to confirm his attendance on Monday.
Kevin Hurley, 27, did not appear despite being told to do so.
A previous attempt at holding the trial collapsed when it emerged co-accused Marcus Julian Christians, 24, was on a humanitarian mission in the Mediterranean during the Syrian refugee crisis.
A warrant has been granted for his arrest.
Another warrant was granted for the fourth accused, 21-year-old Oliver Bale, when it emerged that he was also on deployment.
Defending Hurley and Neasham, solicitor Ian Flynn said all four men had undertaken to be in Forfar on Monday morning.
He said of Hurley: “He’s based in Plymouth. He had been at every single previous calling, while others have not.
“All are saying they will be here on Monday. There are warrants for Marcus Christians and Oliver Bale.
“Whether Christians is apprehended at the airport when he comes back to this land, that’s a different story, the same for Mr Bale.”
Sheriff Gregor Murray said the case was a “shambolic mess” and added: “The court’s sympathy has evaporated in their case.”
Fiscal depute Bill Kermode said the Crown has cited 21 civilian witnesses in the case.
All four men face the charge of causing a breach of the peace and fighting in Grant Road.
Christians is also accused of repeatedly punching and kicking a man to the head to his severe injury on the same date.
Three other men from Arbroath have previously been sentenced for fighting the group of marines.
Callum Robb, Zac Archer, and Kellon Lyons were each fined £400 for the offence in July.