A pair of Aberdeen football fans have been handed banning orders after they admitted being part of a disturbance ahead of a match against Dundee United.
Dons supporters Euan Stevenson and Scott Steppie were part of a brawl that erupted outside the Snug Bar, near Dens Road, ahead of the Tannadice clash on December 13 last year.
A sheriff branded the pair’s behaviour “shocking” and handed them hefty fines as well as banning them from matches for a year.
Dundee Sheriff Court heard the pair were part of a group of up to 65 Aberdeen fans who were monitored on police CCTV as they travelled from Dundee rail station to the stadium.
Depute fiscal John Adams told the court that, having been tracked to the ground, violence erupted on Church Street outside the Snug Bar, which was filled with United fans.
Stevenson, 20, of Cairnfield Place, Aberdeen, and Steppie, 21, of Birkhall Parade, Aberdeen, both pleaded guilty to charges under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications Act.
Steppie further admitted a charge of assaulting an unknown male by punching him on the head.
Three other fans Anthony Steppie, 49, of Birkhall Parade, David Gowans, 21, of Woodend Crescent, and Kennedy Miskimmons, 39, of Deer Road, all Aberdeen all had their not guilty pleas accepted by the court.
Liam McAllister, defending Steppie, said: “When he saw the CCTV he quite rightly acknowledged his shame for his actions. He is the father of two young daughters and has the sole care of them.”
Neil McRobert, defending Stevenson, said: “He is a joiner in full-time employment. He has been an Aberdeen fan all his life and has always attended games.”
Sheriff Donald Ferguson fined Steppie £690 and Stevenson £750 and imposed football banning orders on both for one year.
He said: “It is absolutely shocking that we still see this kind of incident at football matches today. It was hoped that this kind of thing had been left in the past.”